Long term durability issues

• I like the durability system but there is an issue I see that will affect things long term.
    Melee and Ranged are completely imbalanced. Melee goes through durability quite a lot more than a ranged user, as a ranged user myself I know I'm at a huge advantage.

As much as this would hurt me I would actually rather see durability tied to ability use and attacking rather than taking damage. I know it may seem counter-intuitive to remove durability loss from taking damage but it would be the easiest way to balance every play style rather than favouring classes that can kite enemies.

Replacing gear sucks, I know, but I feel like it'll actually give me a reason to make more than one set of gear. I remember in the UO days I'd keep multiple 'go bags' in my bank that had a full set of gear inside and some reagants and if I died I'd just hit up the bank, grab a bag and head out.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I agree with you about durability being rather... durable itself for ranged characters in comparison to melee characters.

My Mage's Commoner Set only lost approximately 20% durability for the amount of time I had it, and when I converted to being an Archer, I'd taken a lot of damage and got knocked down several times trying to brazenly discover hotspots, and my Hide Set lost roughly the same amount of durability.

I believe durability loss should incur in these ways:

• Use over time. (minor)
    • Knockdown. (moderate)
    • Death. (major)

Been saying this for a long time.
    The durability system cannot be based on taking hits, it is simply too uneven between melee and ranged chars (even though melee armors have higher durability).

We for sure need a durability hit on KD and Death.

• What do you mean by ranged?
    You mean you are a mage, and your staff does not lose durability?
    Well if you start using it - it will.

I noticed when I started farming with a staff (On my alt I did shock staff - auto attack /crit build for kiting ogres and when I was using the staff for attacks the durability was being used up).

If you are using a bow and shot arrows and the durability is not going down, well that might be a problem

But if its a staff and you just simply use spells rather than auto attacks It shouldnt really go down should it

It should go down.

Everything should degrade and get destroyed eventually, it is an absolute necessity in a game of this kind.

IMO the ideal solution is:

Every second in combat, when the game applies the hp/mana regen, any worn item has a 1/300 chance to suffer 1 durability damage. This means that at minimum the items suffer 1 durability damage every 5 minutes (in combat only, don't want people to go AFK in town and end up naked).

Then apply a random 15-25 durability damage to items on KD, and another 25-35 on Death.

This way PvE reaches the right weapon degradation values, due to the passive degradation, and even PvP has the right degradation, since it lasts a lot less but brings many more KD/Death.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@spoletta said in Long term durability issues:

It should go down.

Everything should degrade and get destroyed eventually, it is an absolute necessity in a game of this kind.

IMO the ideal solution is:

Every second in combat, when the game applies the hp/mana regen, any worn item has a 1/300 chance to suffer 1 durability damage. This means that at minimum the items suffer 1 durability damage every 5 minutes (in combat only, don't want people to go AFK in town and end up naked).

Then apply a random 15-25 durability damage to items on KD, and another 25-35 on Death.

This way PvE reaches the right weapon degradation values, due to the passive degradation, and even PvP has the right degradation, since it lasts a lot less but brings many more KD/Death.

Not bad idea.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured