Review after 80 hours

• It's a good game.
    Lovely artwork. Lots of builds possible. Good music and sounds. Interesting combat.

Unfortunately it will fail over time by two simple design flaws.

1. Syndesia will self destruct. It is just a matter of time until they will all out grief each other and one super guild is formed. Mal adopted people always form tyrannies and those will push even more players away from that planet.

2. Item durability is a good resource sink. But it will also make this game commercially unsuccessful. It is just a bad solution for a standard MMO problem.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@PoorSoul said in Review after 80 hours:

Item durability is a good resource sink. But it will also make this game commercially unsuccessful. It is just a bad solution for a standard MMO problem.

I tend to agree. I've mostly ignored gear because I can't repair it, and so don't enjoy it, which locks away probably more than half the game mechanics.

• @Roccandil

I understand and respect that the game needs a resource sink to stabilize the economy. But this can be done without giving the player a permanent feeling to deterioration.

Simply establish a value added tax on all transactions and a fee for repairs which scales with gear value. The big difference is this way that you can keep your stuff and can freely decide how you want to earn money.

Another even simpler solution is to let the monthly invasion cycle remove all gold and all items except for worn items and already build houses.

Both is preferable to permanent high upkeep on everything. It is just psychology.

Right now the game is heavily biased against casual players. Most paying customers will not farm 1 day for an item set that lasts 4 days.

@PoorSoul said in Review after 80 hours:

I understand and respect that the game needs a resource sink to stabilize the economy. But this can be done without giving the player a permanent feeling to deterioration.

I agree. 🙂 I liked how Albion did it, where gear was only trashed in PvP combat.

• I think gear deterioration is one of the best parts of the game.
    There is little reason to farm MOBS with your absolute best gear anyways.

If gear doesn't deteriorate it wouldn't be long before the crafting market would be all gone.

No to repairs.

• @Roccandil So kill all markets on the PvE side?

• @Wargfoot

If you pay for repair, instead of farming them, you could decide how you want to generate gold for them, or if you want to farm and what.

But besides that problem this game at the current state is punishing casual players for not playing enough. If you play an hour for five days a week, you will have to farm 2 weeks to replace your gear. Fine by me if this is the vision of the developers. But I dont think they consciously made that decision.

@Wargfoot

PvE markets are already killed, because PvE content is one-shot. Once you have all the knowledge, abilities, orbs, and legend runs you want, what else is there to do?

Forcibly introducing a "cycle" into PvE via durability may stretch out the content, but that's like watering down beer. 🙂

PvP is ultimately what drives a market in a game like this, and Albion's PvP-driven economy is far better, for several reasons:

• Gear only trashes on PvP kills. This means the player who died doesn't care if an item trashes, and the killer is happy to get any loot.
    • Crafted items can be studied and consumed for more crafting exp. No glut of "training" crafted items.
    • Items are crafted at player-owned crafting stations, so the currency paid to do the crafting is still part of the player economy, not siphoned off to invisible, immersion-breaking NPCs.

• @Roccandil said in Review after 80 hours:

@Wargfoot

PvE markets are already killed, because PvE content is one-shot. Once you have all the knowledge, abilities, orbs, and legend runs you want, what else is there to do?

Forcibly introducing a "cycle" into PvE via durability may stretch out the content, but that's like watering down beer. 🙂

PvP is ultimately what drives a market in a game like this, and Albion's PvP-driven economy is far better, for several reasons:

• Gear only trashes on PvP kills. This means the player who died doesn't care if an item trashes, and the killer is happy to get any loot.
    • Crafted items can be studied and consumed for more crafting exp. No glut of "training" crafted items.
    • Items are crafted at player-owned crafting stations, so the currency paid to do the crafting is still part of the player economy, not siphoned off to invisible, immersion-breaking NPCs.

There are many PvE titles that do just fine - for decades, so while you may find the PvE world to be boring dead end, many people do not. As for PvP adding to the longevity of the game, you cite Albion, yet in chat many people here are former Albion players.

If only PvP kills the gear, the entire world of the Wildfolk would have a dead economy. I'm dead set against any idea that only take Aerhen into consideration. PvP may drive the market for you - but given that PvE destroys gear - that is driving the market just fine, thanks.

We can improve things, but repairable gear isn't the way to go.

@Wargfoot said in Review after 80 hours:

There are many PvE titles that do just fine - for decades...

How many have non-repairable gear?

As for PvP adding to the longevity of the game, you cite Albion, yet in chat many people here are former Albion players.

I'm a former Albion player, and for me, Albion was fun much longer than Fractured. If someone's looking for an MMO, and hasn't tried Albion, I'd recommend it over this one.

• @Roccandil said in Review after 80 hours:

@Wargfoot said in Review after 80 hours:

There are many PvE titles that do just fine - for decades...

How many have non-repairable gear?

As for PvP adding to the longevity of the game, you cite Albion, yet in chat many people here are former Albion players.

I'm a former Albion player, and for me, Albion was fun much longer than Fractured. If someone's looking for an MMO, and hasn't tried Albion, I'd recommend it over this one.

Enjoy Albion.

Since the very beginning I have said the durability thing was a poor design decision. However, they have been clear they are happy with it (see my comment on the potential update and rebalance discussion).

I understand why it exists, but it is a mechanic that does nothing but elicit bad feelings. Gold sinks never tend to feel good, but this choice feels worse than most. Now they talk about wanting to make changes to encourage people to go to t2 armor. But why? It breaks. And it breaks pretty quickly. It gets shredded if you happen to die to a mob. And heaven forbid you're traveling on a road and get caught by those stupid stone elementals. With that being said, this is a hill that they are going to die on, so it's sadly not going to change. Instead, if the discord message is on point, it seems that discussion is around how to make playing on terra feel worse. Maybe if people enjoy that ruleset, don't look towards pressuring them to go to a different ruleset just to be gank meat. Sure way to lose what it looks like is the healthy majority of players.

• Making play on Terra "feel worse" would be a mistake.
    They should look for ways to make Aerhen different, but more fun.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured