Mana overflow

"How do you increase mana regeneration?"
    "Where are the mana potions?"
    "How do you rest?"

If you have not heard these questions at least ten times in the general chat, you have probably never looked at it. Especially at the start of a test.

Fractured has always had the issue that it wants to recreate a MOBA style of fight, but has to join it with the usual aspects of an MMO.

The mana management has always been one of the hardest parts to balance. In a MOBA if you start firing your skills on minions, your mana will be kaput very quickly and its regeneration is slow.
    In an MMO though, you have to fire your skills a lot of time when doing PvE activities.

The result is that the mana was never enough and especially newer players which had no experience in optimizing their mana, were constantly forced to recover mana. And this wasn't fun.

That's why with time, the 1 mana/sec granted by INT became first 1.5 and now even 2 per second.
    The objective has been achieved, new players no longer have such drastic issues with mana... but when you combine the huge amount of mana regen given by INT with talents, materials and imbues the result is that INT builds have no idea what OOM means any more.

To solve an issue, another issue was created.
    It also made INT into a stat which really gives you too much. Mana, lot of mana regen, willpower, and the widest range of skills.

The issue of new players though wasn't the mana during the fight but between fights, because no one likes to stare at the screen waiting for a blue bar to slowly refill.
    As such I wonder if it wasn't possible to try a different solution.
    Return INT to giving only one mana per second, like it was originally.
    Add one point of mana regen per second to CHA, which currently is very underpowered as a stat. This gives a venue to regen mana to those who really don't gain anything from INT, and keeps the overall mana regen higher compared to the original version where actually mana regen was a bit too low even for fights.
    Then add to both INT and CHA, 3 mana regen per second out of combat.
    This way, mana during a fight is again an important resource to manage, but as soon as the fight ends the mana starts refilling very quickly, covering the issues of new players.

This also adds a bit more dynamicity to big pve fights, where you will start taking turns with healers and tanks when they get low on mana, so that they can take a break and recharge.

I would even go as far as moving the mana regen talent from the INT to the CHA tree, but that's just me...

• @spoletta said in Mana overflow:

Why not adding flat 50 mana/sec when out of combat. (not depending on attributes)

Another suggestion would be to move the mana-reg (and a minor part of the mana-capacity) into an new attribute.
    Many ppl might hit me now, but I think 30 attribute-points flat to distribute when creating a char is a bit too much at the moment... it allows too many mixed/hybrid builds that can do too many things good at the same time..

@Maltos said in Mana overflow:

@spoletta said in Mana overflow:

Yeah this would probably meet the same objective and be easier.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

as long as you prevent the user from exiting combat mode by simply pressing the key bind...
    otherwise people could just hit the key bind (space by default) while dodging damage with movement to get massive mana regen.
    You really would need to have exiting combat mode be a channeled ability like summoning a horse and taking 10? 15? sec. If a player moves, is hurt, or activates any ability in that time then it gets canceled and you are still in combat mode.

as an aside I would also have your and enemies inventory unavailable during combat mode which would end other issues.

@OlivePit
    being in combat and being in combat mode are 2 different things.
    Combat mode is the one you can voluntarily enter and exit. Combat is something automatically applied for a few seconds every time you receive or inflict damage.

• @spoletta and if that is broken, we could make action bar changes mid-fight. Which would be really bad.

@MidniteArrow
    I'm not sure I understood what you mean.

• @spoletta You can't change your abilities mid-fight. Meaning I can't use second wind and then replace it on my bar with a shout, pulling it back in a minute later. Combat prevents that AFAIK. This is a good thing.

Every time you change something on the skill bar, you lose all toggles and all your skills go on a 10 second cooldown. If you are ok with that, you can change skills midfight.

• Can't test ATM, but something kept me from doing this in-game previously, and I assumed it was combat (since I was in combat at the time). Everything in the expanded action list (arrow on the action bar) was grey.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured