Bardikens' Compendium of Suggestions Part 5: Entertainment/Fluff

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

It has been a couple of weeks, but today we are discussing the options for entertainment and fluff activities in the game. These activities may not provide large end game benefits for some people but are means by which people can enjoy themselves outside of the daily grind, even if they are a grind as well.

As usual, the entire document can be found at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qrD2MwlirFeuFF3U88XVUcvPa3yVbbslkbImYow0XJk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Entertainment/Fluff in a Sandbox

What does Entertainment mean in a Sandbox?

Often times, people assume that sandbox MMOs, especially the hardcore ones, are for one of two people: A) The loud PVPers and B) The roleplayers. While these groups certainly are a part of this community, there is obviously much more involved behind the scenes. To accompany the presence of people who are want to get bored, there should always be activities that are outside of warfare and work inside of these games in order to allow for people to have a little bit of fun with their guild mates, fellow hermits, or just to blow off some steam. Many games do this in various ways, and I would say that their only flaws are that they are put into the game and then forgotten about. If you want people to enjoy your content and to utilize the tools that you provide in game, you need to encourage them to do so, especially in a sandbox.

What should entertainment look like in Fractured?

• Entertainment doesn’t have to be the highest priority because you have around a month after a game launches where people will be entranced and diligently working on whatever they want to achieve their goals in the most efficient way possible. Also since this is a game that adds some light survival mechanics and a touch of realism, we should really have fun with the entertainment possibilities.

• Since the world is so big, there should be player built and maintained Inns and taverns at certain points in the roads. Perhaps they pay a fee to the local lord for protection, but they also provide beds, campfires, and are in constant need of food at wholesale prices to sell to the weary travellers. Using an Inn in your travels should provide better and more rest than sleeping outside on the ground with just a campfire.

• There should be hunting contests held by the NPC towns, where a specific area of the map is marked off and contestants will hunt special spawning deer, rabbits, etc. in the area. The winner receives a sizeable allotment of currency and some crafting materials.

• I like the idea of having mini-games in the game, such as dice or cards or what have you, but I’m not sure how to get more than a handful of people to actually do those things for fun in their downtime, as these things tend to be abandoned fairly quickly by some people. Perhaps tournaments, etc.

• NPC sponsored duel tournaments; Massive, multi-event tournaments hosted by either NPCs or the devs themselves where people are allowed to enter one or more competition. Participants of each competition (perhaps armed, hand-hand, magic, etc) would receive healthy cash sums or special titles. Make it where the NPC set a buy order for food, gear, and goods so that people have to work together to see the event play out (while also eliminating some items from the economy in the process).

Why?

Is it really necessary to have these things in the game? Perhaps not, but they do increase the longevity of the game, especially for those people who come into the game not wanting to pvp or fight monsters every single day. However, I think any sort of event, so long as it is backed by the devs and encourages the players to participate, would work here. My examples are just things that I personally like and would like to see how they would translate into a sandbox MMO.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Bardikens said in Bardikens' Compendium of Suggestions Part 5: Entertainment/Fluff:

• I like the idea of having mini-games in the game, such as dice or cards or what have you, but I’m not sure how to get more than a handful of people to actually do those things for fun in their downtime, as these things tend to be abandoned fairly quickly by some people. Perhaps tournaments, etc.

Betting.

An option to play for gold will inevitably pull part of the crowd in.

Oh thank you thank you!! I always love those parts of rpg cities where I can play game-withins for minor loot, esp if it's a pvp situation where gamers can compete w/o bloodshed (e.g. blackjack at the Inn!, wheel of fortune for skins & spell mats!)

Totally agree that a night spent at a nice place in town would net better rest than sleeping on the ground, but there's a reason people like camping out under the stars... a cheap place might not be great rest at all if there are 2 other ppl (PC or NPC) in your room (or bed)... & chances that the RNG hands you a dose of vermin go up as the price goes down, right?
    πŸ€ 🐜 😝

@PeachMcD lol. you can sleep with the wolves and giant spiders outside instead of the cutw mice inside if you really want πŸ˜‰ The tavern could be a 'safer' place to sleep rather than a cleaner one. πŸ™‚ i really like the idea of this. maybe you could get a minor debuff if you slept outside on the hard ground. Not enough to be dangerous, just a minor hinderance.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured