Alpha 2

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Shoot by the time they get the game working good they will probably be outdated on their graphics lol. That is what killed UO in my opinion. The game ran so long that people graduated from 2D graphics to 3D. This year I tried a free server but just couldn't get into the old graphics engine. I think the best mmo I've played to this point is SWTOR. I loved that game. The graphics were nice and I loved all the storylines with the cutscenes. I just got tired of the constant leveling. I was trying to maintain too many characters lol. It got to the point that by the time I leveled all 16 toons the next expansion came out and it was time to do it all over again.

Boy this thread got off topic lol.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Farlander XD.

As to graphics, that's always an issue. But it is just as much an issue for any competitor in gaming. Also, UO had some other issues... there's quite a number of people that are happy with less than the newest and shiniest graphics, but there has to be some really good content.

UO changed the content of their base, without really appealing enough to any potential new players. That's deadly to a game. Or, in UOs case, mostly deadly.

@Farlander I actually preferred the 2D graphics choice made by Game of Thrones - Ascent - quicker load, less lag, less space on my computer taken up, more chance to use my imagination.

I grok the immersive appeal of a 3D mmorpg - I'm actually looking forward to playing in 3d again - but wanted to point out that the assumption about "graduating" from 2D to 3D is, perhaps, on shaky ground. 2D or 3D is a choice developers still make, and either way the devs go has benefits and drawbacks for development and for playing experience. 🖖

Well I tried to appeal to my son's generation of friends to play UO with us. Once they saw the graphics they said no way. I grew up on those styles of graphics so they are fine with me. UO struggled when EQ came out. Most of the players I polled who left our guild for the game said they liked the better graphics. When SWG came out it was more of the same and well it was Star Wars lol. When I played the free server for UO alot of our players said they couldn't go back in time and play those graphics again. I'm guessing for alot of people how good the game looks is a factor. I like the look of Fractured. It has that old style isometric look of Diablo yet an improvement on the graphics that show alot of detail.

@Farlander said in Alpha 2:

Well I tried to appeal to my son's generation of friends to play UO with us. Once they saw the graphics they said no way.

Fascinating! That's important, if anecdotal. Thanks for the 411 👍 👍 ☮

Heck, I grew up with UO graphics being top of the line. Even I can't go back, they are just too simple.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured