Preparing for May-June Alpha (feedback thread from me; edits with addition post test)
Ekadzati last edited by Ekadzati
First Session/New Player Experience - May 26th - I spent about an hour and a half testing today; here are my thoughts in no particular order:
- much smoother than expected for early alpha stage; nice!
- over time, my character's "position" on the screen began slipping toward the top. will try to figure out how to recreate.
- if i fire a staff shot off screen, does it actually continue until it hits something? (misfire central here, and LOTS of off-screen aggro... related?)
- I know this is 'top down', it would be nice to be able to set a pan/tilt preference on the camera.
UI Requests (I know it's alpha, but this is kind of important stuff for older folk like me, and possibly for those arriving from the MMO segment)
- As a player, I want to know the general direction and/or coordinates of my most recent corpse, so I can actually find it.
- As a player, I want to be able to set WASD or arrow movement keys, so I can play effectively with keyboard and mouse.
- As a player, I want to be able to use numeric keys for my ability/skill hotbar, so I can play effectively with keyboard and mouse.
- As a player, I want to be able to increase the contrast of the quest tracker and chat windows, so I can read them easily.
I'm sure to have more thoughts; they'll be added as replies.
Thank you for listening!
Ekadzati last edited by
Second Session - May 26th - I spent about two hours on a new character (melee); here are my thoughts:
- strategic pulling and lazy aggro work... i really, really like that.
- i have trouble staying in combat range when fighting (accidentally misclick, etc) - this is probably my most annoying thing so far.
- it would be nice to have larger labels at the 'macro' level of map view (on entry) but this is more 'nice to have'.
- it would be nice to have some means of visual cue when an animal is nonaggro/aggro/socially aggro. swarms are not fun.
- i see some hitching when changing tiles/areas - assume alpha but pointing it out just in case....
UI Requests - Mostly QoL related:
- As a player, I want to be able to quickly move items between locations, so it doesn't require many clicks and mouse movements.
- As a player, I want to be able to stack raw resources in greater quantity, so I can stock regularly used items without exhausting storage space (i.e., 20, 50, 100?).
- As a player, I want to be able to favorite recurrently used recipes for faster access, so I can accelerate the selection/crafting process.
- As a player, I want to be able to craft from both inventory and bank (home town only), so I am not wasting time consolidating resources instead of producing output.
I'm sure to have more... see any replies.
Thanks for listening!
Ekadzati last edited by Ekadzati
Third Session - May 27th - I spent about an hour on my melee character; here are my thoughts:
- TOO MUCH CLICKING REQUIRED. I like action combat, but holy crap... I've had carpal tunnel surgery on my dominant hand and I still got soreness from yesterday's session.
- I'm happy that archers do not distance when you close (as a tank)... but is that intentional?
- Swarm aggro seems a bit high at the goblin fortresses.
- As loathe as I am to say it, hide armor seems mildly OP given the results in my melee build test (see entry on contest forums), but I am glad of it when those swarms happen.
- Might want to consider some manner of lead-in for enchanting. I get all these reagents, but have no idea how to get started with it (I know, that's polish stuff... but I'd like to test it if anyone has a short overview? Forums only seem to return a spreadsheet.)
- I'm not sure how I feel about currency being loot/dropped on death. Will this be the same across all worlds or vary depending on the ruleset?
I'm choosing NOT to proceed into housing/crafting as I want to focus on NPE for the races/classes as they arrive. For this reason, I will rarely move beyond the goblin fortress until we're far enough along that NPE is all but locked. Feel free to specify any testing/cases and I'll backlog and test.
Thanks for listening.