Opinion on Monsters after the alpha

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Jairone said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

@Roccandil One problem with the rare resource thing is that many PvE focused players aren't really looking for just a gather and sell type deal. Too many games have already shown that to be a rather small niche overall within that demographic (one that exists, certainly, but small). Further, the competition aspect there would be a direct turnoff to many of the people who I would expect to go toward Arboreus.

Fractured has a unique chance to say "Sandboxes don't have to relegate PvE to this tiny little box". It is something I have personally heard from a fair few people. The better they can do at allowing a wider variety of play styles within Arboreus (exploring, crafting and interdependency mixing crafts and combat goals for both groups and solo will be important for actual town style groupings, and so on) the more likely they will be to get recognition for doing exactly that... the more they do what every other game has done the more such people will dismiss it as a disappointment.

It cannot be all grind either, of course, because that is indeed as you noted

I agree that one focus of PvE endgame needs to be cooperative play. Otherwise, you've just got "soft" PvP or a single-player game (neither of which is inherently bad, but excluding cooperative is I think bad).

And Albion lacks that for PvE: anything cooperative and endgame is done in the context of hardcore PvP.

@Roccandil

i dont think there'll be much coop pve here. maybe a few raid bosses but Prometheus already said the game will be solo friendly which means it'll be boring for many of the groups. unless the mobs scale based on how many attack i dont see groups being needed outside of pvp.

@Jetah said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

@Roccandil

i dont think there'll be much coop pve here. maybe a few raid bosses but Prometheus already said the game will be solo friendly which means it'll be boring for many of the groups. unless the mobs scale based on how many attack i dont see groups being needed outside of pvp.

The sole purpose of the beastmen planet can not be the Token PVE planet , where no one groups or has a challenge, if you want to do anything interesting go PVP.

the entire basis of the MMO is that it caters to all 3 types of players

Full PVPERs
    PVXers
    PVEers

being solo friendly does not mean , you can solo everything in game.
    they have to make content for all types of people , or only the full PVPers will stay
    and then the game will die

@Xzoviac

you do know that the beastkin planet will be invaded by demons, right? they will have forced pvp just not nearly as much as the other 2 planets. there has to be a way for cities to change hands. they'll need some type of pvp system for that.

i wasn't speaking specifically about any planet. i was speaking in general.

the developer already stated the game will be solo friendly and that very little content will need groups for. that means what i stated above.

i promise you the pve group wont keep the game alive. they're pretty finical in that they'll jump games to something else when it releases.

• Community Manager

@Jetah Cities on Arboreus can't be conquered. I don't know how the devs will deal with the limited city spots on Arboreus if they can't be conquered but they're safe from PvP.

@Specter said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

@Jetah Cities on Arboreus can't be conquered. I don't know how the devs will deal with the limited city spots on Arboreus if they can't be conquered but they're safe from PvP.

it'll get stale over there and people will quit.

Cities on Arboreus can't be conquered. I don't know how the devs will deal with the limited city spots on Arboreus if they can't be conquered but they're safe from PvP.

Maybe they will make the upkeep decay faster to help rotate the housing especially for the players not logging in?

@Jetah said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

@Xzoviac

you do know that the beastkin planet will be invaded by demons, right? they will have forced pvp just not nearly as much as the other 2 planets. there has to be a way for cities to change hands. they'll need some type of pvp system for that.

i wasn't speaking specifically about any planet. i was speaking in general.

the developer already stated the game will be solo friendly and that very little content will need groups for. that means what i stated above.

i promise you the pve group wont keep the game alive. they're pretty finical in that they'll jump games to something else when it releases.

Demon invasions will last less then 30 mins irc, and will be fairly difficult to create/do

As specter said that is not how city's change hands. So you do not need some kind of pvp system for that.

I think when you speak in general you have to consider the game is designed for three groups of diffrent Play styles

Could you post a link or screenshot showing where the devs spoke about solo play, and also specifically said they wouldn't be adding much group content for the PVEers, as your previous statements of fact, as proven by specter, where actually your opinion?

So if PVE players are the only group that "jump servers when other things are released", what are the pvp group doing here?
    Shouldn't they still be playing the first pvp mmo they ever tried?

Just to add a little credence to my opinion, I would consider WOW a PVE game, it has pvp sure, it even has Pking servers, but the player pvp consists of max levels sitting in noob zones killing the NPC's and anyone that walks past.

it has a arena and battleground, however its hardly a PVP haven

does wow not have the highest retention of players of any mmo?...

pvp is important no doubt, but PVE will be the life blood of this game....

I would expect Arboreus cities to depend heavily on politics, and have political mechanics that can impact everything a lot more heavily than Syndesia and Tartaros.

"..we have explained how we want to revolutionize the concept of “race” in the MMO genre and use it to cater to the needs of peaceful/cooperative and aggressive/competitive players alike"

Even Fractured would be solo friendly, it will also aim for PvE group content. That is where this cooperative part refers.

@Gothix said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

I would expect Arboreus cities to depend heavily on politics, and have political mechanics that can impact everything a lot more heavily than Syndesia and Tartaros.

True, and maybe on top of that, upkeeping city needs a little bit more effort (fixing infrastructure) or maybe even needs to be defended from NPC conquerors..

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Jetah One thing that has simply never been done in the modern PvE type game is an actual community. Crafts are generally relegated to 5-6 types. Everyone can do everything. Etc.

If there's a reason to actually care about the neighbors, even if you can also run around being the solo hermit, it has something to keep it from getting too stale. That's before anything else even comes into play, like politics, resource trading, events, those odd demon invasion attempts, seeking knowledge, and so on.

The truth is that you are looking at this from a "What has been" perspective, because there has been a dire lack of anything beyond combat in MMOs.

@Xzoviac said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

(...)but i love grinding so(...)

That's the problem though, ain't it? Fractured specifically markets as a game that does not require, nor carter to grinding (Kickstarter video and plenty of developer comments on this).

@Xzoviac said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

(...)Have mobs give Knowledge Experience, so the more you kill a monster the more you level up the knowledge of said monster(...)

The knowledge system spotlight describes this:
    'Bestiary. The bestiary is a personal diary where you store all the information on the types of creatures you’ve interacted with and/or defeated. New entries in the bestiary only report the most basic information on a creature, such as its name and species. Multiple interactions / kills gradually reveal more detailed data on the creature, including its attributes and abilities. Every time you unlock a new piece of bestiary knowledge, you are rewarded with Knowledge Points, and your characters becomes more proficient when interacting with the creature.'

That said, there is no endless grind on creatures and it isn't meant to be, that's one of the unique selling propositions of the game (as far as I understood it). The 'late game' entertainment is meant to come from exploration and player interaction (either competitive or cooperative though villages and guilds). But some of the 'late game content' involves PvP as well, even for Beastman (though optional, if they opt out of that, it's content that exists and they intentionally don't want to consume). Examples of the 'exploration part' would be:

• Find, interact with, or kill specific creatures.
    • Kill some specific creatures in a unique way.
    • Find, collect or refine some amount of a specific resource.
    • Consume X units of a specific item.
    • Be hit X times by a specific spell.
    • Perform a specific combat action X times.
    • Explore one or more world locations.
    • Rest in a specific location.
    • Craft X units of a specific item.
    • Die in a specific way.

And from the Stretch goals on PvE Endgame:

• Animal Taming: including unique ones ?
    • Fishing (if that's your cup of tea)
    • Labyrinth: which is descriped as: A hardcore survival challenge in a procedurally-generated dungeon (at least 4 levels ?) Not sure how Hardcore this will be ofcourse

• Community Manager

Fractured will certainly have group content for PvE players. We already know there will be world bosses and Arboreus will have the most PvE events to make up for the lack of PvP.

Fractured will certainly have group content for PvE players. We already know there will be world bosses and Arboreus will have the most PvE events to make up for the lack of PvP.

👍 That sounds great.

@Specter

Ya, I like it! 🙂

@Tuoni said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

@deusex2 said in Opinion on Monsters after the alpha:

..once knowledge system is implemented. It could be that we'll be forced to fight spiders, in order to observe them using their webs, in order to unlock Web spell, or poisoning ability.

What I have understood, this is exactly what will happen with knowledge system.

Ability/spell unlocks are first hidden, and after when opened then there will be some grind combined with exploring to unlock tiers 2 and 3.

On top of that, I am quite sure, that also the spiders will have loot tables in future. We could presume to see some kind of venom sacs used for poison crafting, and spiderwebs used for tailoring for example.

i would actually like to see spider silk used for something. interesting idea ^c^

That's good to hear because I don't play mmos for pvp. If I wanted to just pvp I'd play a shooter.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured