Partnering with humble bundle

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Another small mmo company I'm backing temtem (pokemon mmo)
    Has partnerd its self with humble bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/developer

Being a equally small company I considered fractured may be intrested in doing the same

This is what the temtem team has said is there reasoning,

Making a game is an incredibly hard and huge task. There are so many things involved in the process and a team our size can hardly manage to achieve every single of them correctly.

We love developing games, we love to think about and implement new mechanics, we love listening to the community and shaping the game how you want. But there’s so much more involved in the process that is not really developing the game: marketing, contacting distributors, merchandising, reaching out to streamers and sites, talking to platform holders…

That’s why we’ve decided to partner with Humble to publish Temtem.

Partnering with Humble allows us to focus on Temtem’s development while they handle all the other task in which they excel: bring the game to even more platforms, secure more merchandising opportunities or even get physical editions of the game, while also reaching a bigger audience which will benefit the game in the long run.

They’re also fully committed to giving us creative freedom so Temtem will be exactly how we want it to be

Yeah that's called having a publisher. 🙂

All small development companies have a publisher because they lack resources to handle all publishment and support related issues on a global scale.

Fractured will also, almost certainly have a publisher down the line. Publisher is usually chosen later on in development when game is almost ready to be deployed and publisher can see what they are dealing with so specific agreements and contracts can be made.

I can tell you (and that is also valid in my own case), that many players wait to see who the publisher will be before they make their final conclusion about the game.

Developers can be amazing (like they are here in Fractured), but if bad reputation publisher is chosen (lets say MyCom as an example), then this publisher can ruin the game completely with their monetary rules / cash shop and other policies.

It's also super important what kind of contract will be made, because more often then not publisher gets huge rights, and are allowed to change many policies involving monetary aspects of game, so for example even if game was developed as "no P2W", it can easily become P2W in the hands of a greedy publisher.

Lets hope that Fractured will end up in the hands of one of the good publishers. 🙂

@Gothix Well according to the temtem group at least, Humble bundle are giving them full creative freedom, so seems like a worthy publisher (why i posted it here)

I personally like the company it does a lot of things for charity, and seems to try sell things at better prices then a lot of game selling platforms

could definitely be a publisher to consider

i see humble bundle more as an online store and less as a publisher.

i'd prefer DS stays publisher free but host the download on multiple platforms. Discord, Steam, Windows, Humble Bundle, GoG, etc.

@Jetah I believe Dynamight Studios has some private backers , so they may never need to get a publisher, but having them aware of some seemingly non scummy Publishers could be a boon them if they find them selves wanting to have some of the advertising and marketing work load taken of there hands

Humble is a very developer-friendly publisher. I recommend them.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I don't think it's necessary at this point and I don't think it's our place to suggest what publishers they should go with without knowing the internal workings of the company.

@Belligero said in Partnering with humble bundle:

I don't think it's necessary at this point and I don't think it's our place to suggest what publishers they should go with without knowing the internal workings of the company.

As backers of the game , it is our place to suggest things, it dosent mean that Dynamight have to listen

all suggestions are good, if it inspires Dynamight in positive ways.

necessary at the moment or not , one day this information may be useful for them.

I just leave this article here..

"Dynamight Studios is a financially stable company. Careful business planning, coupled with backing from the three founders and private investors, make us feel safe about the future of the project. Moreover, we already have open channels with a few large game publishers that have shown interest in Fractured."

Kickstarter page

"Moreover, we already have open channels" @Tuoni so they are activly intrested in publishers , are talking and looking for them, wo may be intrested in humble bundle like I thought

@Xzoviac

i could be mistaken but i believe the publisher may help with support or getting enough people to support.

Warframe as done well without a publisher! so i'd love to see another indie be self published.

The biggest role of publisher for an indie company is international players support.

Small companies dont have enough resources to, on their own, adapt their game to rules and laws of each specific country, to offer player support to all nationalities and handle all issues that can arise, legal and otherwise.

That's where publisher comes in, with their already developed global network and experience handling finances, laws and global player support in exchange for portion of profits.

Problem are those greedy publishers that additionally want rights to change game and/or its cash shop, to squeeze out over time the most cash from players.

Those developers care not about longevity of the game, they just pick publishing of game after game, do money grab and move to another game when old one fails.

This is why it is CRUCIAL for devs to pick good rep, established publisher if they don't want their game failing to quickly.

Publisher will just move on to another game instantly. What will devs do? Another 4 years of new game development?

Sadly, this is what decent part of developers don't understand well enough.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Gothix said in Partnering with humble bundle:

The biggest role of publisher for an indie company is international players support.

Small companies dont have enough resources to, on their own, adapt their game to rules and laws of each specific country, to offer player support to all nationalities and handle all issues that can arise, legal and otherwise.

That's where publisher comes in, with their already developed global network and experience handling finances, laws and global player support in exchange for portion of profits.

Problem are those greedy publishers that additionally want rights to change game and/or its cash shop, to squeeze out over time the most cash from players.

Those developers care not about longevity of the game, they just pick publishing of game after game, do money grab and move to another game when old one fails.

This is why it is CRUCIAL for devs to pick good rep, established publisher if they don't want their game failing to quickly.

Publisher will just move on to another game instantly. What will devs do? Another 4 years of new game development?

Thanks for the insight on this relationship between developer and publisher! So, basically, DMS will need the services of a good publisher and should they get a bad one, the game could be severely compromised?

@Alexian said in Partnering with humble bundle:

@Gothix said in Partnering with humble bundle:

Thanks for the insight on this relationship between developer and publisher! So, basically, DMS will need the services of a good publisher and should they get a bad one, the game could be severely compromised?

Yeah, Chinese games fall for this trick a lot, they get publishers in the west that want to leech a good game and have poor free 2 play markets , Cherry credits, did this recently with http://cq.sdo.com/web4/list.aspx?cid=6 this game
    it made gold drops so little you could not even make enough gold to hunt, you had no choice but to buy gold with RLM. to buy potions.
    the international version of this game failed because of this, and has now shutdown

@Alexian

most publishers want some guarantee return on their investment into the indie company game. they usually state how they want the cash shop, if any, to work or they'll want a cash shop added. EA does this with their lootboxes.

there are some investors that will leave the indie companies to handle their game as they please. I just hate that 1 chinese company has their hand in every industry. (this is a personal opinion of course.)

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured