Playing as a pure mage seems impossible

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Specced into 18 intelligence and charisma to max out spell power, fired up the mage armor, and tried to go attack a black wolf with pure magic.

Failed miserably! πŸ˜› I could lock it down with the web spells, but the damage spells seemed anemic at best: ran out of mana before I got the wolf to half health, while one hit from the wolf knocked me down to half endurance.

The web spells are nice (and don't seem to be improved by any attribute), but it's -far- better right now to couple them with a primitive bow.

Any plans to make the damage spells more powerful, less expensive, or more spammable (maybe the magic arrows)?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Roccandil Black wolves are one of the strongest atm so it's not shocking to be unable to solo it with pure magic. Regular wolves get kind of wrecked by magic on the other hand.

I fought regular wolves using magic. I did finish with a bow just to be done with it, instead of waiting on skill timers, but I wouldn't call it impossible to do. I only used 3 spells / skills and could have filled it out with more instead of using the bow at all.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I wouldn't mind except it's far easier to kill black wolves or bears with a primitive bow than with elemental magic. Other maybe than a quick AoE before pulling out the real weapon, I didn't see much point to having fireball, magic arrows, the ice blast, or ice touch (although the animations were cool!).

Presumably there will be bows better than primitive, but I'm not expecting any kind of improved magic.

Also, I'm figuring the damage magic we're granted as part of the test would in the real game be harder to get than a bow and arrows, yet it feels less effective.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Man, black wolves kicked my ass with melee.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kellewic

Ya, bows are where it's at! πŸ™‚ Especially if you've got a group: one guy runs around being chased, everyone else shoots. πŸ˜›

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Black wolves be tough..... I run away regularly. πŸ™‚

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Same, I ran from them after trying to kill one twice with magic. The smaller wolves I had no problem with. I suppose with better armor or weapons, one day we will kill all the black wolves. It's a story to tell our grandchildren!

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Is it fairly easy to run from enemies? Are you mounted or just running?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Just running. Enemies are tethered and are slower than you, especially if you have Frenzy enabled.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

It’s ridiculously easy to kite enemies.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Yeah just kite, shoot fireball and ice shards when off CD, use web if you need, then keep running till your mana regenerates, repeat the process till monster is dead.

I went as:

18 INT
    18 CONST
    18 PER

works nicely πŸ˜‰

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

The black wolves were easy enough, just a grind. The spiders were more of a challenge, since they have webs too. Had to make sure I saved something to stop them. Both were able to be killed, though, using pure mage. They certainly feel grindy, as if intended for a group. Having them spread across the regular landscape so much made settling down a little more difficult (came across a couple plots where the spawned too close and would have been a constant problem).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

With the latest patch, I tried elemental damage magic against a deer and brown wolf, and it still felt very weak. Maybe it's because I associate a fireball with a devastating blast, and it acts more like a firecracker. πŸ˜›

Maybe we'll get items to increase our magic power: wands, staffs, tomes? Or are there more powerful version of the spells?

Oh, I'd also love to see a basic, single-target magic attack that didn't have a cooldown, just a continuous mana cost, like a stream of fire, ice, or lightning, a beam of arcane energy, etc.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Everytime i see a black wolf im like 'I got this hold my beer'... 10 seconds later im laying on the ground and the wolf just casually walks away like im a piece of shit

@Roccandil I built a character for mage focusing on int and charisma. Fireball would almost kill a wolf in one hit, my test with 3 wolves had them all at ~1/5th health. Used web and two icicle blasts and they were gone. The damage felt pretty solid from fireball and icicle blast.

Poison spell is the most worthless thing ever when it does work, the more easily resistable spells almost never work (poison and the two touches), and so right now there's really limited options.

@Peter said in Playing as a pure mage seems impossible:

Everytime i see a black wolf im like 'I got this hold my beer'... 10 seconds later im laying on the ground and the wolf just casually walks away like im a piece of shit

Gotta kite em. They start chewing on you and you have done something wrong. I'd expect with tanking and healing builds you could group them well enough... but solo it's not happening.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Jairone said in Playing as a pure mage seems impossible:

@Roccandil I built a character for mage focusing on int and charisma. Fireball would almost kill a wolf in one hit, my test with 3 wolves had them all at ~1/5th health. Used web and two icicle blasts and they were gone. The damage felt pretty solid from fireball and icicle blast.

Yep, that's what I did. πŸ™‚ Maybe I got an unlucky roll (-20%?), but my fireball got a brown wolf to half health. Killing wolves with primitive armor and weapons seems easier (melee seems to do AoE damage to everything in front of you, so you can kill a group of brown wolves pretty quick, especially with the endurance healing spell).

In comparison, I feel like a fireball should one-shot brown wolves every time, but that's without knowing how hard a fireball will be to unlock (I'm used to it being a more advanced spell, and improvable).

Granted, we can't test with max intelligence (25?).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Yeah, I must have had a bad roll or two! πŸ˜› I went back with the same toon, and was doing more damage to wolves (including a very nice crit or two: a crit mage build could be nasty!).

I also noticed that while the fireball and magic missile spells can be used across varying elevations, the ice spike spell requires you to be on the same plane as the enemy: I had ice spells miss outright because of that. On the other hand, I was able to drop spells on top of a wolf pack from a cliff with impunity! πŸ™‚

I'd still like to see a basic, lower-damage spell with no cooldown: having to wait for cooldowns seems to make a hybrid build or a kite build mandatory. Or maybe add a staff or wand ranged magic attack?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Thanks to Yitra's stats layout, I came up with a mage combat build that worked for me:

STR 18
    DEX 6
    PER 18
    INT 18
    CHA 6
    CON 18

Basically, tankiness plus magic damage. The stat I'd consider dropping might be perception, to get a bit more charisma, but I don't know if accuracy affects spells. Attack speed doesn't seem to, so low dexterity didn't seem to be a huge loss.

The strength armor bonus added to the mage armor equaled 310 armor. I haven't seen leather armor stats, so I don't know if that's better, but this armor doesn't make energy costs higher, and it's enough to take multiple hits from bears, black wolves, and huge spiders.

The other knowledge I needed was that the ice blast spell is actually a shotgun, not a ranged attack. In melee range, all the projectiles will usually hit one target, and that -will- one-shot grey wolves (figured out they're grey, not brown! πŸ˜› ), while doing significant damage to nastier mobs like bears.

With that build, you don't even need the web spell. Aggro the mob, let it get in melee range, hit the shotgun while tanking a hit or two, and then kite until you can do it again. Hitting the mob with magic missiles is a nice interim attack. I think, though, the fireball is probably too inefficient for a single target with high HP.

I did find a huge pack of grey wolves, kited them until they were all together, and then popped them with the fireball. Very nice. πŸ™‚ Had to kite them until I got the cooldown back to finish them off, but it was still impressive.

I tried using the Death Mark spell (since I had high perception), but couldn't tell if it had any effect on spell damage.

The other nice thing about the build is that with high CON, you run very fast with Frenzy, while with the max energy regen from high INT, you can have it enabled a long time.

The only gear that seems really useful is the rabbit's foot amulet: that popped my luck from negative territory to
    positive (40). Hoping for mage clothes! πŸ™‚

• TF#10 - CONSUL

A little bit more:

• Chilling Touch seems useless: needs more damage, no cooldown, something!
    • Paralyzing Touch didn't seem bad: I didn't have a problem with it working (lucky?), it does decent damage, and unlike the web, it prevents mobs from attacking you in melee range (with the web, if you come up behind them while they're webbed, they also can't attack)
    • I can't tell if the disease spell is actually doing anything
    • Poison, as others have said, seems useless

Copyright Β© 2019 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured