We need waypoints for minimap

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

It’s very easy to lose your campfire or any other thing you place after you move from the location and there’s no way to place a marker.

The only marker shown is yourself and house so placing waypoints to save a place and not getting lost or losing stuff would be great.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

There's a coordinate system in the game already, there's an icon on the minimap that shows it. That, along with terrain landmarks (rivers, cliffs, etc) should be more than enough to note down where it is. Using a waypoint system that flags the map for you would be kind of immersion breaking - unless it's knowledge you can gain for cartography, that'd be pretty cool!

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

It would be nice to get a mapping utility like UO Automap of UO Mapper where you can actually place icons on it and name them. You can also sync up with other players to show their locations.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Considering there is already a map marker for your house I don't see how having limited custom markers would be immersion breaking. Having it locked behind a particular skill would be cool but doesn't sound very fun to put much effort into if it just to have map markers.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@TheKooz said in We need waypoints for minimap:

Considering there is already a map marker for your house I don't see how having limited custom markers would be immersion breaking.(...)

The less the better? 😞
    I personally dislike these 'map convenience' features as well, since they remove much of the player skill involved where map awareness has an advantage.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Logain I have a question for you. Do you drive to a new place without a gps giving you directions? I mean you want the immersed experience of finding everything on your own right? Getting lost, turning the wrong directions, just basically wasting time.

I for one don't want to be wasting my time trying to find where I want to go. I'd be the first to go to the local mapmakers shop and buy a map of the area to know the points of interest. I like map conveniences and hope at some point places you have been and explored can at least be pinned on a map.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Farlander said in We need waypoints for minimap:

I for one don't want to be wasting my time trying to find where I want to go. I'd be the first to go to the local mapmakers shop and buy a map of the area to know the points of interest. I like map conveniences and hope at some point places you have been and explored can at least be pinned on a map.

As far as the information goes right now, is that you start with a general map. By exploring, your map will automatically be updated with player made roads, towns spots etc. So that should give you an idea where you have been before and what to find in those areas.

What I would like as an idea for mapping, would be player made signs, directing you to a town for example or to a lodge in the wilderness acting like an Inn where you could get some rest and maybe some supplies.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

(...)Do you drive to a new place without a gps giving you directions?(...)

Actually, yes. I use printed maps 😉

(...)I for one don't want to be wasting my time trying to find where I want to go(...)

And that's the difference in perception. Exploration can be a very thrilling, entertaining experience. That's the reason there's plenty of books and stories about famous explorers. And that's part of what some people hope to get from a game a sense of adventure.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Manaia Getting knowledge to learn better cartography and THEN unlocking the ability to get waypoints due to innate knowledge sounds like a really sound idea. It would make sense in the context of the game.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Uh you still use a map lol. It shows you where you are going and how to get there. If all you have is a minimap you can easily get lost. When I first started UO that's all they had. I literally got lost with my first character I ever made. I wandered around for hours. I eventually deleted that character and started over.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Actual i like this suggestion.
    Sure, the Map should have a Fog at the beginning, where you need to unlock the area you discover.
    But i think some Flags we are able to set by ourself would be a nice feature, like marking settlements, special places and other stuff.
    But i would be also fine with predefinded Icons with description, if you discover a town, POI or special magic place.

• waypoints would be very QoL indeed 😞 im sure we will get them at some point. 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

(...)I literally got lost with my first character I ever made. I wandered around for hours. I eventually deleted that character and started over.

You see, we have very different and actually opposing experience there. One of the moments I still remember from back in these days (though not with UO but a less famous competitor) is not countless hours of grinding to get that item or this skill or that level or what have you, but reaching a spot that no other player had managed to access before after days and days of exploration in a team of five people. Actually, it was that 'cut off' from the rest that after some time one of the developers teleported there and asked where we are and how the heck we got there ;).

Copyright © 2019 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured