The Rising of the Shield Hero (Shield 'Class') but for Fractured

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I've been watching the anime for a while now and I'm loving the fact that the main character can't use a weapon or another shield. His shield is him. So I was thinking if this concept was brought over to Fractured.

The 'class' would only use Shields. Starting with a basic shield they'd have to obtain other shields so they could 'copy' them. This copy becomes a usable ability for the user and they can swap it to when they press the key for it. Materials that drop can create new shields, enhance existing ones or allow multiple shields to be combines (thus creating a new shield. this would be different than just creating a new shield).

Taunt could be a base line skill for the user. This 'class' has much higher defenses than other classes (as no weapon for offense).

This item is a legendary item that is found in the world. It was forged eons ago by the gods. (really any RP reason could be mentioned to justify it being found in the world.)

In the anime the Shield hero uses different shields to attack and defend. He used the remains from a snake that unlocked a snake shield which can bite an enemy and do poison damage. Another shield was from a Cerberus (or lesser version) that can bite an attacker (both the snake and dog are melee ranged). Using enemy remains (these could be specific to the legendary weapons) to unlock new 'knowledge' thus new shields. The limit of abilities still works for the Shield, however, they may get access to another skill tray (they're legendary weapons for a reason).

In the anime there are 4 heroes. Spear, Bow, Sword and Shield. (I'd like to see at least 1 of every weapon type have a version.) These would work the same way as the shield.

Now for PvP and losing the weapon.
    YES, you can lose it if you're looted. All of the items unlocked stays with the weapon. This means the user with the legendary weapon becomes harder to kill the longer they have the weapon!

The user will not get any special materials from enemies unless the legendary item is equipped! (this stops people from banking the item and collecting those materials without fear of losing the item.)

If the user doesn't log on or uses (for whatever DS feels is appropriate) the weapon will be returned to the world (insert RP/Lore here that the weapons were created with some type of bloodlust that craft combat). This prevents the weapons from being horded and not used.

I'm not sure what measures have to be taken to prevent any type of lawsuit by the creator of the manga (the comic the anime is based off of).

edit:
    Instead of the player having Knowledge, these unique items would have it also. the material is needed, in varying quantities, to unlock different aspects of the weapon.

i've been watching shield hero as well and your idea would be unique. Honestly for the shield keeping all its power per player switch though, i think it should lose them. the new holder of the shield (or other cardinal weapon) should have to work for it after acquiring it. yes they may of killed the person holding it before but lets say for lore purpose it has a connection with its current owner and if that breaks then it reverts to its original form. all in all i think it is an awesome idea and it would add 'Power houses' per se. to whatever group has it.

One thing i would suggest though would be to limit one cardinal weapon per group. or 'Nation' (Village, city, kingdom, ect)

the only reason i wouldnt want this in the game is for the simple fact of it coming from something already established. it is an awsome idea but for the world of fractured i just dont sense a uniqueness from it. yes it makes sense, being that there are the respective items but i feel as though there should be something.. More. maybe instead of being upgraded it would be blessed by the gods and have changes like that.

i wouldnt be opposed to seeing this in the game in some way but if it is i would like it to be turned into its own aspect.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

It's always been a fun and niche idea but the likelihood of it being realized here, at least at launch is zero.

Shield runs were fun in Dark Souls though.

@Jetah said in The Rising of the Shield Hero (Shield 'Class') but for Fractured:

In the anime there are 4 heroes. Spear, Bow, Sword and Shield. (I'd like to see at least 1 of every weapon type have a version.) These would work the same way as the shield.

Yes, I also watch/read this title and I like its concept, but the introduction of legendary weapons will have to be entered for each class, which will carry with it a great difficulty with the balance of the game and the difficulty of playing this function (variability - let's say 10 variations of an each type of weapon)

YES, you can lose it if you're looted. All of the items unlocked stays with the weapon. This means the user with the legendary weapon becomes harder to kill the longer they have the weapon!

So you want to make Albion out of this game???
    Think about it, if players have the singles are legendary guns, they are just a "gang" (the translator does not decline the word) and nothing can be done. Here you let's say you earn resources throughout the game session for this weapon, shook it a lot of time and you just "gang" 10 bums and all. So the introduction of weapons that will lose their copies, does not look quite cost-effective for players.

No , you don't think that I just "don't accept" your idea, I like it. But in order to enter the game, you need to create a "System of Knowledge" for each type of weapon, to give him balance, to make Trudi the creation of this weapon was recoverable, at least make it so that the user can own only 1 legendary weapon and if he wants to take more, he took is destroyed and loses all its copies (which is znaciti that he simply will omoge give it away or purposely lose in battle to give to his friend... In General, a lot of nuances).
    And to summarize, I come to the conclusion that the mechanics of the game are pumped with the legendary weapons, just not together here.

Yes, also in series there is class "crystal mage", that is highly original

1. Makes beast man
    2. Grabs Legendary weapon
    3. Proceeds to kill PvE mobs in Arboreus for a while (and an occasional demon invader when he is visiting arboreus and weak)
    4. Becomes practically immortal over time
    5. insert any fun activity here

Having the Ability to upgrade weapons depending on what you kill , could be a nice feature

• @Xzoviac
    Thats exactly what i thought too.

Of course the idea comes from the anime; at least thats were i got it from but i'm somehow intrigued by it.
    This would you make go around the world to upgrade your skills / weapon. I honestly think the system would be more realistic/ doable ingame with skills because weapons you can lose them too fast or they have to implement core weapons that everyone has and cant lose. Otherwise might be too much grind if you have to grind your weapons power everytime from start.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

This idea needs to be retooled a bit to work properly in Fractured's setting and game mechanics; the Kirby power system works just fine for an anime or a single player game, but not for an MMO.

I think the best compromise is simply to ask that attention be paid to using shields offensively, with a possible bonus if a shield is wielded with no other weapon. The snake shield, cerberus shield, etc. should merely be kinds of shield that players can craft. No need for some magical everyshield that transforms on the fly and serves as the Infinity Gauntlet in Fornite...

Dual wield shields, safe space mode. 😛

@Kansei

the shield is fed with materials. how does the shield lose them when it switches owners?

@muker

how would balancing 1 weapon with 10-15 abilities be harder than 400 (actually 400^3 power but i doubt we can use 3 skill tiers on the bar) skills & abilities which can all be used in nearly any combination?

the knowledge is within the weapon. it isn't character bound but item bound. DS could have a way to reset it and toss it back into the game.

@Lythor

the point in the anime was that the heroes cant use any other item. The shield hero couldn't use any other shield nor weapon. I like that the weapon has unlocks (@Fibs WoW did a similar thing in Legion expansion) which could give you different abilities for different scenarios. IE you aren't getting more powerful but you have more ways to deal with encounters.

@FibS

the shield would the be only weapon that player had, as in my example. it would work just like any other melee ability. you slot it in and then you have access to it. You'd need to feed it materials, and it might need more than 1 to unlock, then you get something out of it. which is our whole knowledge system. i've just thought having that system within a unique weapon where the knowledge system was inside the weapon.

@Gothix

there was another anime that used bots where they built a dual wield shield class.. it was interesting.
    the different options dont have to bring power to the player, just options.

@Lythor as long as we believe that's how the system works it should work 🍑

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

cough

nice how people like stuff as soon as they get an anime.

Shield Hero has been around for years ^^.

But back to topic.
    Why would we need a "class" for it?
    Talents/Skills for Shields are probably planned.

And if we want to make a Shield Hero MMORPG, i would try to cancel my pledge xD.
    The Webnovel/Novel/Anime and Manga are all nice in they're respective medium. But the game mechanics of that universe suck so hard and are so abuseable, that's not funny.

As someone who read trough the web novel and the light novel (up do date vol. 13, as i buy it in english [the translation is crappy at times ... worse then the fan translation xD]), i can say that ^^.

It's like SAO ... no one in their right mind would play that game. It would flop as fast as most other themepark mmoprgs did (like WIldstar etc.).

One shouldn't take inspiration from such sources for another type of games. Most of these are flawed to a point, just to drive the story ^^.
    And most times the author just went with the flow and creates soooo sooo many plot holes. Which get even worse, when after the early sucess a big publisher gets interested and they try "fixing" / "adjusting" it.

And before you get me wrong.
    I love the shield hero stuff. The anime changes make me cringe a bit at certain scenes or when they leave out or put something in the wrong timeframe. It's still nice to watch overall altough ^^. I just wished they stuck to the original LN or the Web Novel ... not go with a butchers hobby artwork. Adding needless fanservice xD.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ju8RlxZavU4/maxresdefault.jpg

You should read the Web and LN :3.

alt text

@Greenfox

this is a suggestion thread about using the 'concept' of the weapons that have multiple uses based on the material they consume. it's much easier to point to an anime than a comic.

this isn't a thread about the anime or what was changed in the anime vs manga.

the Fractured Knowledge system is very similar to the Heros weapons. I'm just suggesting having some weapons, that are unique to the region that puts the knowledge inside the weapon.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Jetah Then i misunderstood that ^^.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Suppose Knowledge system has many ways to learn certain skills...Mb it's diff. teachers, masters, books, scrolls, collections, elixirs/serums, achievements, monsters etc. And weapon of course, magic weapon- mb even speaking magic weapon(hm some legendary weapon as your teacher - interesting...).
    Even Shield Hero could be much more powerfull if he would ask that old hag from 11 ep. to teach him "kung-fu".

@Vorch21 said in The Rising of the Shield Hero (Shield 'Class') but for Fractured:

Suppose Knowledge system has many ways to learn certain skills...Mb it's diff. teachers, masters, books, scrolls, collections, elixirs/serums, achievements, monsters etc. And weapon of course, magic weapon- mb even speaking magic weapon(hm some legendary weapon as your teacher - interesting...).
    Even Shield Hero could be much more powerfull if he would ask that old hag from 11 ep. to teach him "kung-fu".

i read "mb" and i had no idea what the word was.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured