Crafted Items / Unidentified Items

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this idea was already suggested if it was feel free to delete my topic.

Regarding crafted items I recall from the day I used to play Ultima Online (used to play on Burstfire UO), every time you crafted an item weapon or armour it would have you character name associated with it at the end would say something like *Crafted by "name"

I think that is a cool Idea not sure if you do to, hope so.

Another idea would be for the not so common items, Unidentified items that we could find roaming the map if given player were the first to discover such item it would be cool to have his name associated with it same thing as the "crafted by" but something like "Found/Discovered by ..."

There you go, my suggestion to improve a minor thing that like me I believe others would enjoy also.

Thanks 🙂

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@telmiwhy Summary of the Crafting & Building Q&A livestream + (RUS, DE)
    You can read what we know about crafting.

As for your idea, it's not bad, but I'd like to change it a little. Only high quality items would have the name of the Creator

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@muker said in Crafted Items / Unidentified Items:

@telmiwhy Summary of the Crafting & Building Q&A livestream + (RUS, DE)
    You can read what we know about crafting.

As for your idea, it's not bad, but I'd like to change it a little. Only high quality items would have the name of the Creator

Hey there muker,

Yeah your tweak of the idea sounds really good, makes it more special having your name as the crafter if you achieve the highest quality possible. I like that.

Wurm Online uses a system like that, tied to item QL. So at low QL, you can see maybe a few characters of the creator's signature, like so:

• R....n...

At high QL, though, you can see all of it:

• Roccandil

It works nicely. 🙂

@telmiwhy said in Crafted Items / Unidentified Items:

makes it more special having your name as the crafter if you achieve the highest quality possible

sorry to ruin your fun, but there is no quality / tier system or anything like that in crafting. Everything has "the same quality"

Another idea would be for the not so common items, Unidentified items that we could find roaming the map if given player were the first to discover such item it would be cool to have his name associated with it same thing as the "crafted by" but something like "Found/Discovered by ..."

Cool idea! 🙂

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@eurav hey there, yeah it doesn't ruin anything there's no need for QL to have the name associated, just like I suggested when I started this topic.

The QL idea was a nice addition "IF" there was such a thing.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@sunlion thx man. I'm not that big on trading but I remember having a friend that his entire focus on Ultima was making sure alot of the player base was wearing his "branded" plates. I guess he got some pride in his crafting. 🙂

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

There's a conflict of tones in your post.

Considering how every single piece of gear in the game will supposedly be crafted by a player, I feel displaying the creator's name on items wouldn't make them feel more special.
    It would be a reminder that the whole economy is driven by players, sure, it would perhaps make one feel more connected to the game, yes, but it wouldn't be a mark of distinction.

Your other proposal - naming significant entities after their discoverers/retrievers - would give a lot of distinction to the select few of early adopters and make them seem special.

It just feels weird to see these two things in the same post.

@dragomok
    there will be very limited item drops.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@dragomok Well I started from the idea of having the crafter's name associated to the item he/she crafted, after reading more about the game and some of its mechanics I learned about the possibility of drops and that's why I extended the idea to those items as well and instead of "crafted by" something like "discovered or found by" it may not be directly related but my main suggestion was passing some sort of personalization to the trading.

hey there, yeah it doesn't ruin anything there's no need for QL to have the name associated, just like I suggested when I started this topic.

Ye ye, just wanted to mention that fact. Not that people go deeper into that specific topic, when it is not even a possbility 🙂

but my main suggestion was passing some sort of personalization to the trading.

What do you mean "personalization to the trading"? That people can say, oh the person that craftet this is from the guild I don´t like, so I won´t buy stuff from him?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@eurav said in Crafted Items / Unidentified Items:

What do you mean "personalization to the trading"? That people can say, oh the person that craftet this is from the guild I don´t like, so I won´t buy stuff from him?

Well that is one way of seeing it, the other way around also works, if you don't like the idea that is perfectly fine there won't be enough arguments that I can bring to the table that will change your mind, it's a rly simple thing so there's not much to add just depends how you look at it, I think it is a cool feature, It was used in Ultima and at the time I recall it was something to be proud of, people would often grow a reputation with that sort of stuff and I used to enjoy it.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Would be neat. Wouldn't mind having armor that's more valuable just from the person who created it. Gives people a reason to gain a reputation.

But this is, and should be, a social aspect, and not an aspect of hard implemented game mechanics.

If people will respect one crafter more then other crafter (due to his actions and play style), and will be willing to pay more to buy gear from him rather then pay less to buy the gear from another guy, that's up to people to decide, and not up to hard game mechanics to dictate.

Reputation and respect comes out of your socialization, your play style, your getting around with people, and not by "following a set of rules dictated by game mechanics, to artificially increases your cough reputation".

This is why when things such as reputation (and similar) are concerned I never supported any game mechanics connected with that. This all should be naturally obtained in game, and it should be 100% layed on people, and as peoples views change, things will change.

TLDR: I don't support any game mechanics connected with "player reputation", because this should be 100% a social aspect and not driven in any amount by any sort of game mechanics.

Crafted by would be a good addition if there are guilds or individuals who are interested to have a crafting/blacksmithing profession in the game.

Also, unidentified items. 3 words. "Appraisal Magic Item"

I really do not like the idea of ​​having people's names on my items even if it's my name, but if the idea goes forward, this may be optional, for example, you have an item that you like a lot and take it to the blacksmith to record on the cable a name or drawing. ✌

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@ProfessorCab I agree with this point of view

@MeninoDeOuro
    every piece of clothing you buy has a manufacturer on it. our crafted stuff should have it too! (i can understand your point though)

It is nice knowing <player> made it when you need a new one.

Anybody remember Firefall's crafting system? It was wonderfully complex.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured