the half way races

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

hi all and @Specter @Prometheus ,
    i wanted to understand what is going to happen to the characters that does no change there race fully like angel or abomination, nor like a lich, beastman/demon that going for neutral alignment:

1. will they get a divine quest to do ? ( for the neutral gods)
    2. will they change there appearances ?
    3. will they have different skills ?
    4. what planet they will be allowed to be indefinitely ?

• Community Manager

@grofire As far as I am aware, nothing happens. The transformation is the reward at the end of your path to your redemption, fall or lich form. Being neutral shouldn't affect anything because you can still set your alignment to good or evil when you're neutral. Also, the neutral gods are neutral because they don't care about your alignment. It has nothing to do with the neutral alignment itself.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@specter said in the half way races:

Also, the neutral gods are neutral because they don't care about your alignment. It has nothing to do with the neutral alignment itself.

Oh, so there are gods who you can associate with no matter what your alignment is, nice. Do they have different effects (or anything) different when you swap alignments though?

@specter im kinda sad there is no specialty in neutral, characters that dedicated to be in the middle.
    not by just being in a neutral karma, by doing quest and acting in order to show they are "champion of the neutral order".
    and are they going to be in human world ?

@grofire
    I understand what you're saying, it reminds me of advanced beings/levels in Dark Sun (D&D).

In the KS update on stretch goals it is stated: "You thought a Lich has an Evil alignment? Just because it’s not technically alive anymore? Bad! Prejudice! A Human turning into a Lich preserves its Karma and Alignment".
    A lich could be played as a neutral character...in effect, as an undying being free from the shackles of time, it could be considered a true neutral existence, not biased towards the small concepts of good and evil in a mortal's everyday life (ok, this sounds more like a demilich! 😉 )

• Community Manager

@grofire I do not believe there will be any special benefits to being neutral, but that's a question for @Prometheus.

its seems most of people like evolution, i know i do, and lich is a good example, human can decide being lich, and it doesn't change his karma and alignment.
    but its hard to be lich, something to work for, i really think this will be huge interest for the half way races.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Some neutral alignment benefits would be nice. Maybe have a god of justice or something? I could see it rewarding neutral behavior; punish people guilty of crimes by whatever means necessary. Stealing stuff and other morally reprehensible acts would be accepted as long as they contribute to bringing criminals to justice.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Justice and neutrality are... well, I'd think them different things. Neutral has advantages in reality, but in game those are mostly lost through meta.

I do think that such balancing acts could use a little more attention if done with rigor. There could be several different cases as well, based on how unpredictable somebody is being. For example, there could be a chaos based version with the more random acting person, or one where the alternation of good and evil actions is specific and patterned.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jairone said in the half way races:

Justice and neutrality are... well, I'd think them different things. [...]

If you go by D&D, which Ultima Online heavily derives from and thus which Fractured might care to reference, there are two Neutrals: one for law v. chaos and one for good v. evil.

An archetypal lawful neutral would follow the law to the letter regardless of the good or harm done and would thus be a sanctioned inquisitor, whereas a chaotic neutral would be more like a vigilante.

@fibs ya that sound cool, but i wanted something similar to lich, that take hard work and divine quests to reach, not something that achievable by a selection only.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@jairone It wouldn't really be justice, just something along those lines. The god would reward you for bringing criminals to justice while occasionnaly straying from the good path to be efficient. Say you want to take down a big baddie, the god would be fine if you stole a sword or lied your way through that. This would translate in the god favoring neutral karma; you get good karma for bringing criminals to justice and bad karma from stealing and other evil-aligned actions.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@jairone I think that'd be an interesting way to play. You'd have to carefully plan out your actions in order not to be too evil or too good.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured