Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization

• This is great news. Since this game is aiming for more actiony combat than other sandboxes, I was worried about dealing with lag or laggy players.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@prometheus let me see if i understood correctly, there will be number of server, all will run the same geographic world, but the population on different servers will not be able to meet up ??? if its what you meant, its sound very very bad !
    but if you mean the world will be combined and people could pass from one server to other and the different servers will hold different parts of the world then its cool.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Acho maravilhoso!
    I also speak Portuguese so I will definitely be able to help translating texts for this game!

Cheers!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@prometheus I'm just wondering, will we be able to switch between servers to per se, play with friends in different regions? I have friends in Europe, so I just want to know if I'll be able to start my game in US East (for latency reasons) but then play on a European server to play with my friends?

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Not having to worry about large ms response times is very nice indeed, good work.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I will always stick to the most populated server.

30 ms and 180 ms ping is the same in playing. As long as no lagspikes happen.
    And that is the difference between my home >frankfurt>USA.

Under 300 ms is no real lag, might be bad for pro-pvp. Where a twitch ends your life.
    But that's not my kind of beer anyways.

Мы Вторые, народ !!!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

best news of the day. as always, the developers of fractured positively surprising. my loyalty to this game only increases. thank you.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Ottime notizie, non vedo l'ora che il vostro progetto arrivi alla fine.
    Per tutto quello che state creando, avete il mio più sincero rispetto!
    Bravi ragazzi!

Saluti dal Bardo

This is awesome!

weird that I find myself agreeing with sparky and mattdaniel but I was a little disappointed to read this.

• DymStudios - CEO

@jahlon said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

Love the fact that Dynamight, Intrepid, PLAYWITH, and a few other studios are all becoming more involved with their communities. Its a driving force that is going to change the MMO world and how companies interact with their customers.

Thank you Jahlon! As an MMO player (which I am, other than a dev), I think it's a great evolution for both devs and the community. A win-win scenario 🙂

@kralith said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

To the part of splitting user think about a worldwide one, because some of us have friends all over the world and want not to get splitted.
    Me per example has people at my recruits from Mexico till Russia.
    I would not be happy, if i would getted split by them.

Aside from the fact that you'll likely start Alpha 1 all in the same server, as mentioned in the post, there's no region locking planned. If you still want to play all together on the EU or the US server once regionals kick in, you can! 🙂

@sparky said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

Don't split the servers just do a worldwide one. Making more servers could easily kill the playerbase on one server to another, just look at Bless Online. They had a whole bunch of servers, and each server playerbase just killed itself one by one because not enough players.

(I shall tag @mattdaniel and @Gibbx too) Bless' problem was not with having too many servers, but with the dramatic drop in the active playerbase due to the very problematic launch.

Albion did a very good job on their servers over time, and I believe it's fine to play from the EU, but Albion has a DOTA/LOL-like combat (auto-attack + attacks and projectiles that can't be dodged), which a particularly slow pace that makes a 100ms ping not an issue.

Fractured's combat is closed to ARPGs like Diablo or POE - faster, more hectic, most spells are skillshots and, above all, basic attacks (melee and projectiles) are also skillshot that have to be aimed and can be dodged by moving. 100ms of ping start to matter for competitive gameplay, and many people in here, especially in Eastern Europe / Russia, would get way more than 100ms connecting to a US server.

@greenfox said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

Hmmm... well splitting userbase is hopefully done after you know that theres enough to keep the server alive.

Absolutely! That's explained very clearly in the post 😉

@greenfox said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

AND most importantly... pleaes don't outsource it to a localicatuon agency. These are all crappy as hell.
    Rather give the "crowd" ... us the usersbase the chance to translate it from one language to another.

The crappy ones are the cheap ones - there are good ones. As I've said, we're going to get community help too anyway!

@grofire said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

@prometheus let me see if i understood correctly, there will be number of server, all will run the same geographic world, but the population on different servers will not be able to meet up ??? if its what you meant, its sound very very bad !

You'll be able to play on multiple servers if you want - say, EU and US at the same time. But they're separate server. I don't understand why such a surprised reaction, that's what literally 90% of MMOs do, grofire.

@biohazardbeluga said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

@prometheus I'm just wondering, will we be able to switch between servers to per se, play with friends in different regions? I have friends in Europe, so I just want to know if I'll be able to start my game in US East (for latency reasons) but then play on a European server to play with my friends?

You can play on two different servers, if that's what you're asking. No region locks. The horizontal progression of Fractured makes that much more doable - no "new character to grind to level 70" in the "other server".

• This is a mistake that will ultimately get reversed as activity dies down.. How will you handle land ownership when the merges happen? How about name changes? We've all seen this before.. I can't imagine your network middleware doesn't have the functionality to utilize a distributed edge model to reduce latency? Albion did it with Unity and Photon, I'm surprised SpatialOS cannot.

I hope there are hundreds of thousands playing this game.. But in reality, this genre is very niche. Maybe regional makes sense at launch.. but eventually servers will consolidate as activity levels out. This decision while initially celebrated is shortsighted IMO or a limitation due to a lack of the developed technology.. be it internally or licensed service.

I would also suggest you guys revisit AO, while yes there are auto-attacks.. a great number of attacks are skill shots. The latency only becomes an issue in ZVZ, only David Salz can explain their decisions there. I will say, SBI did make some great improvements to performance over time.

This concerns me.. I understand your horizontal progression.. but this early in the design stages.. with such impressive tech as SpatialOS.. I don't see how you cannot fix this before it's too late.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

My hype has now died and I am sad 😞

• TF#5 - LEGATE

RIP the idea of a single shard. EVE Online does it perfectly and it stops people from 'hiding' away on empty servers. Dividing the small player base of an indie game from the start is just going to lead to a lot of dead servers (not to mention the costs of running multiple servers at once). After all, what's the point of fighting over territory when if you lose, you could just switch servers? I would rather have 220 ping to one server where everyone plays than 10 ping to an empty one.

I'm personally not going to be following the project very closely after this info, will just see if it makes it to launch or not.

EDIT: Bottom line, I feel like that this is a very short term decision point made to appeal to players who imagine playing the game now, rather than how it would actually play out in the future. Low latency sounds great until people realize how this pretty much breaks the entire sandbox apart by tearing apart an already small player-base. You don't plan a game to be big from the start, you always plan for it to be small, and grow it from there (unless you're someone with hundreds of millions of funding and have the backing of a big publisher with their marketing machine, which this game obviously is not).

@vezin my hype didn't die, yes it sound bad to me too, but I trust DS, I hope that if this step will be implemented, then it will be done in a way we will not feel it.

• Wiki Editor

@vezin said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

My hype has now died and I am sad 😞

Don‘t forget it is just a possibility, it is not said it will happen, all based on the tests.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Prometheus
    If you need any help with translation to Polish language, I would gladly help.
    Free of charge, I do not even want anything in-game. Just let me help you to make this game great 🙂

• Wiki Editor

@prometheus said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

@kralith said in Going Worldwide - Regional Servers & Localization:

To the part of splitting user think about a worldwide one, because some of us have friends all over the world and want not to get splitted.
    Me per example has people at my recruits from Mexico till Russia.
    I would not be happy, if i would getted split by them.

Aside from the fact that you'll likely start Alpha 1 all in the same server, as mentioned in the post, there's no region locking planned. If you still want to play all together on the EU or the US server once regionals kick in, you can! 🙂

Well yes, i did not expect a region lock. 😉
    But to have always a worldwide server i see recommended for all people who don't care about possible lags.
    If there are just regional ones, it is always a decision between do i want to play more with my american friends or more with the russians or with my germans/europeans, because it is almost impossible to get them all on one server if there are just regional ones.
    With the choice to have a worldwide and just additional local ones, it gives us the possibility still to hold on your original vision to let play all people together worldwide.
    I saw some of us mention, that they still prefer the one world platform.
    Beside that, you will go for one server as you mentioned in Q&A and it still is just to have the possibility IF the playerbase find issues with lags and IF we will be too much for one server technology.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I am waitting for this game, I would like to play it.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured