Feature Spotlight #3 - The Knowledge System

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi everybody!

Just over a month since Universe & Travels, it’s time for us to drop a new Feature Spotlight – this time focused on one of the most unique features of Fractured: the Knowledge System!

While originally it was our plan to release an article on player-made villages, you've been relentless in making us notice how much you wanted to know more about character progression on Fractured. So here it comes 😉

Click here to read the journal

Let us know what you think about this new sneak peek and check out the last paragraph to find out what we're covering next!

Enjoy Fractured!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

The best spotlight so far, lots of information about what I consider to be the core part of every game. Really loving the way you're approaching character progression. With 400+ abilities and 6 tasks for each, it will take many months to get everything if you're a completionist. Getting hyped here. 😛

Alright then, question time!

The core strengths and weaknesses of your character are set when you create it by choosing its attribute, and don’t change during the course of gameplay: you’re effective and can join complex PvE and PvP scenarios from Day 1.

I know you're going to talk more about attributes in the future, but I still want to ask this question. It says "attribute", does that mean you can choose only one attribute or is it possible to make a hybrid?

Exploration. Unlike most MMOs you’ve likely played, a new character on Fractured is not only unaware of combat and magical arts, but also oblivious of the geography of the world it lives in. This ignorance is reflected in the world map, which presents itself as an empty canvas. If you want to become a knowledgeable explorer, you need to travel through every region of the world with some parchment and a pen at hand, taking a little time to write down what you’re seeing. Whenever you document a new location, it becomes permanently visible (in detail) on your world map, and you’re awarded with Knowledge Points according to the importance of what you’ve recorded.

How exactly does it this work? We draw the world map on an ingame map? Or does it unlock automatically? Can we trade/sell maps? How exactly does cartography work?

Relics. Relics are rare pieces of the lost knowledge of Elysium that have survived the Fracture and can be recovered from the most remote locations and dangerous circumstances. When consumed, they can trigger the discovery of a new spell or raise the strength of one you know above its maximum theoretical level – a power we’re sure the most competitive of you will crave to master. And oh, they give Knowledge Points too, of course.

Sounds much like holocrons in SWTOR to me, am I correct?

Once an ability is Discovered, you get to know everything about it: what it does, what’s the cost to use it, and – mostly importantly – what are the tasks that have to be performed to be able to start studying it. Some examples of such tasks are:

Die in a specific way

• TF#10 - CONSUL

honestly, most games allow to change your talents without opening your wallet. Also, the knowledge system is basically a different exp system which I actually don't mind. The actual experience of obtaining knowledge seems a bit more like GW2 where you don't necessarily have to do quests in order and stuff like that. Basically, hopefully, a non-linear grind experience. Talent tree looks like it has potential for decent variety and skill builds. Thanks for the update!

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I didn't receive any email, not like the two spotlights before

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Nice devblog 😄 I have the same question than Vengu about the maps, and an other about the bestiary. You said we can learn more about an animal by interact with/killing him, what do you mean by interact ? Is it just to come closer than the animal that reveal something new ? Or more something like a real interaction ? (like skinning, hunt, alchemy,...).
    And when you're learning your spell, you can do what you want, it learning automatically, isn't it ?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

you're such a tease

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

nice very nice

So far I'm all satisfied

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@prometheus actually seems like a pretty cool system. It seems to me this will appeal to everyone from a min maxer to a casual.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Information overload, haha. A great amount of detail. One thing I noticed right away was the resistance to acid. I was originally interested in poison, but having both in my set would be entertaining

This keeps looking better and better, the more I see the more there is to like.

I like the fact that interactions with a creature help revealing it's 'stats' over time. Nice idea!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I love the idea of tasks to learn abilities. Reminds me a bit of lvling abilities in Mabinogi 🙂

An excellent bit of news, and a fascinating read!

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Actually, as I was reading, MOBA style came to my mind, and then it was mentioned in the article. The progression system resembles that genre a lot in a way you tune whatever set of attributes you choose at the start with talents and ablities as you go. Of course, it takes much longer, since your progress is not wiped.
    All in all, I like the whole picture so far. Many builds to try, long-term goals to unlock maximum possible Talent points and at least lvl 1 of all the abilities to have the widest range of possible builds.
    It's still a grind, though, just of a slightly different kind. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, if the progression system stays this way. Pick your main build to roll around, which shouldn't take too long, it seems, and go ahead doing your things, be it unlocking all the rest abilities, or building your clan village, or whatever.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@esher said in Feature Spotlight #3 - The Knowledge System:

Nice devblog 😄 I have the same question than Vengu about the maps, and an other about the bestiary. You said we can learn more about an animal by interact with/killing him, what do you mean by interact ? Is it just to come closer than the animal that reveal something new ? Or more something like a real interaction ? (like skinning, hunt, alchemy,...).
    And when you're learning your spell, you can do what you want, it learning automatically, isn't it ?

For me the interaction upon further killing may be revealing some additional weakness your character is unaware of. If it is simply interacting with other friendly creatures maybe it will open more dialogues or other interactions like a secret vendor or something like that.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

"Die in a specific way."

loving it!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

This remembers games like Project Gorgon where even dying gained you experience in certain things. Really curious as to how it will feel ingame!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@prometheus I love it. Oh yes I love it.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

when the game will be released to pre alpha, will be some wipe before the final steam release for the public?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured