How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@asspirin

after i read your reply here, i thought it would be cool to go into a first person mode to fight better but i know that wont happen

• @Jetah please don´t 😄 there are some first person fighting games, but all of them suck - some more, some less, but still differ from reality too much. Im glad theres some mmo from isometric perspective (as rpgs should be 😛 )

@asspirin said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

@Jetah please don´t 😄 there are some first person fighting games, but all of them suck - some more, some less, but still differ from reality too much. Im glad theres some mmo from isometric perspective (as rpgs should be 😛 )

rpg is just a role playing game. sometimes you're playing a role (first person), sometimes you're guiding the avatar (over the shoulder), sometimes you're god (isometric); haha not really but it's as close as we'll get.

I just thought it'd be cool to have a way to take the isometric view to first/third person for combat.

Tbh "role playing" doesn't mean playing from first person. 😛

Playing a role means, playing someone else, who isn't you. Be it a warrior, doctor, fireman, shaman, or a mage, some other person.

Do you have an isometric view, or view from first person, is something different. 🙂

• @Gothix Sure, but aside of "dungeons" (1st person oldschool rpgs like Eye of Beholder, Might and Magic series etc.) most classical rpgs were isometric (Baldur´s Gate series, Icewind Dale series, both Diablo games, both Fallouts...). I never got used to 1st person rpgs (aka Morrowind clones ... Morrowind pwnd btw ❤ ).

• It would be quite annoying to work as in Vermintide since the genre is entirely different, but offhands could diversify builds by giving stats and abilities (like someone else said shield gives a stun, big shield gives bonus passive defense against arrows, small shield blocks any damage you get for 0.5sec, offhand knife reflects the first damage within 0.33sec , cloak gives brief invisibility etc).

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

i like the elderscrolls onlines way : right mousebutton = block rightmousebutton + left makes a shildbash

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@flyvendeKLAT said in How should shields work? WoW vs. Vermintide style:

i like the elderscrolls onlines way : right mousebutton = block rightmousebutton + left makes a shildbash

It's one of the best mechanics. GW2, TESO have pretty decent combat mechanics, but the main problem is - Fractured MMO not using AWSD movement system, so shields can reduce damage and\or have a chance to block damage and will have a few qwerty skills... I will be glad to see AWSD movement system in this game, but it'll change all game mechanics, so it's unreal. =(

And, btw, the core of this game is DnD. Just check some DnD based games like Divinity OS, Pathfinder and You will understand combat mechanic with the shield...

• @viziory True the game is heavily influenced by ADaD, but devs stated they would like to have "reactionary" or "skillfull" blocks - aka aimable blocks. ADaD only has increased armour class - passive defensive bonus. I absolutely agree with you on Guild Wars 2, the game that got the active block right - skill that absorbs some damage, but has cooldown, so you´re not invincible.

• Now that we know shields will be passive additional armour, what will 2h weapons get to compensate as both will have same dps (armour reduces procentually rather than flat) ? I´d like some kind of more passive bonus damage increase from strenght 😛

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured