Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@fibs

Maybe not a year, but it should certainly take a lot of time. If it's too easy, everyone will have one, and if everyone has a legendary weapon, no one has a legendary weapon.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@nelchael said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

@fibs

Maybe not a year, but it should certainly take a lot of time. If it's too easy, everyone will have one, and if everyone has a legendary weapon, no one has a legendary weapon.

It's an MMO. On your screen, you ARE the only one with a legendary weapon, just like you're the only one who took the quest to beat the demon and save the world (like everybody else is doing).

It's not possible or desirable to try to make an MMO actually make 99% of its player base nobodies "to be realistic". That's just stupid and pretentious.

@fibs

Well, no one said anything about realism. It's not like the concept of legendary weapons is realistic in the first place. It's more about a sense of accomplishment, of achieving something that most other players can't or won't. Also, aesthetics and bragging rights. Feeling special. You can't really get the same feeling if all it takes is a single 15-minute quest. And again, if everyone can get one, what's the point of having legendary weapons at all?

The original issue was custom named weapons, and making it difficult to achieve solves two problems: gold farmers and idiots using the naming mechanic for chat spam, and the market being saturated with stupidly named weapons.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@nelchael said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

@fibs

Well, no one said anything about realism. It's not like the concept of legendary weapons is realistic in the first place. It's more about a sense of accomplishment, of achieving something that most other players can't or won't. Also, aesthetics and bragging rights. Feeling special. You can't really get the same feeling if all it takes is a single 15-minute quest. And again, if everyone can get one, what's the point of having legendary weapons at all?

The original issue was custom named weapons, and making it difficult to achieve solves two problems: gold farmers and idiots using the naming mechanic for chat spam, and the market being saturated with stupidly named weapons.

A week or so is more than enough time to dedicate to legendarying a sword, assuming that this week was spent more or less entirely on legendarying a sword.

@fibs

Ultimately, that's up to the devs, and I assume they'll likely find a solution that fits somewhere in between, if they decide to implement this feature at all.

It's the question of "should this be a little fun for everyone or a lot of fun for a few dedicated people?" There's no right answer, and I suppose I'm just one of the people who prefer the second option.

@fibs said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

@jetah said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

yet the very emote system was put in to help RP'ers. costumes, transmog and other means to see pretty gear yet have the stats of bis was also for RP. there are mechanics that help RPing.

Emotes are not a mechanic, nor do they benefit RP in any way - contrarily, I rather think they should be avoided, as they betray that you're unable to express your character in actual writing and look very unprofessional.

Vanity was not "made for RP". Vanity is of interest to every player equally: casual players love to look cool, PVP edgelords love to look cool, and even the developers benefit from vanity systems because it makes it a ton easier to develop good-looking trailers using gameplay footage (which also benefits fan-made videos.)

Emotes are a RP mechanic to use "/me looks around cautiously" which is displayed in chat as "Jetah looks around cautiously" is a RP mechanic! I'm pretty sure only about 1 if a few thousand non-RP people use emotes.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

Emotes are a RP mechanic to use "/me looks around cautiously" which is displayed in chat as "Jetah looks around cautiously" is a RP mechanic! I'm pretty sure only about 1 if a few thousand non-RP people use emotes.

/me isn't what I think of when I hear "emote". Emotes are the little pictures in text: :man_golfing: :man_juggling: :man_biking_tone1:

/me began in chatrooms e.g. IRC and were retained in all chats thereafter, MMO or otherwise. They were and are not specifically an RP mechanic any more than chat itself is

@fibs

those are emoticons or emoji. I'm pretty sure MUDs had them too.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I played minecraft with a bunch of friends way back when, and decided to name my sword "Anus Pounder". What a perfect enchanted sword, which help up to it's name.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured