Questions/Suggestions about things I like to see...

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

First of all consider me clueless and fresh to the game. I looked arround for some informations of the topics I'm intrested in but so far I found nothing. Second of all english isn't my native language and I got bad at writing it sorry in advance :D.

1. Why are sword & board skills not supported from the start or in the talent tree? I looked arround but found nothing worthwhile to use while wielding a light weapon and a shield. It's a bit sad for somone like me who want's to play a tanky fella. Will there be some changes for this in the future and some kind of dedication to people who want to play tank style without beeing hardstuck on heavy weapons?

2. Will there be some crafting and gathering talent branches in the future? I think it's a missed opportunity to leave this out of the picture. Yes in a classless system everyone should be able to do everything I get it but there should be something for people who like to dedicate their time in crafting or gathering. Will there be some additions in the future?

3. Can we get an "buy a telent tree point" step in the tutorial? Some new poeple i started out with had 0 idea about this feature.

4. I get it it's a sandbox game but will there be some NPCs in the future who offer small quests like "bring me 10 branches!" or stuff like that? I know everything is Alpha I'm just intrested.

5. When will the other races be playable? In another Alpha? In Beta? No eta yet?

6. Will we get more char creation options? Not only hairstyles and stuff but starting perks as well? Are different looks a planned mtx thing for release to create more money (what is fair from my point of view ^^)?

7. Why are there difficultys on the backrounds of char creation? You should get rid of these so players can gravitate to the classes they want to like to play :).

That's everything so far that struck my mind while playing the first maybe 10-15h of this test. If I come across more or people want to add stuff I'll edit the OP and collect everything here including some answeres that might pop up.

• Content Creator

@Irrelevant said in Questions/Suggestions about things I like to see...:

1. Why are sword & board skills not supported from the start or in the talent tree? I looked arround but found nothing worthwhile to use while wielding a light weapon and a shield. It's a bit sad for somone like me who want's to play a tanky fella. Will there be some changes for this in the future and some kind of dedication to people who want to play tank style without beeing hardstuck on heavy weapons?

Sword and Board is directly supported. Almost any of the general Melee Talents can be used with Sword and Board, and all of the Martial Skills pretty much work with either a blunt or a blade. That means Sword and Board, as well as its chief varient, Mace and Board are both supported.

In addition to that, there are generally a lot of talents that help with health and vitality, which are general use for everyone.

Will there be some crafting and gathering talent branches in the future? I think it's a missed opportunity to leave this out of the picture. Yes in a classless system everyone should be able to do everything I get it but there should be something for people who like to dedicate their time in crafting or gathering. Will there be some additions in the future?

This is a tough one. We've talked about this at length (as players, I'm not a Dev.) and the hard part here is since there is no real degree of success really in regards to crafting and gathering, it's pretty straight forward, what talents would you add. Something like 'Expert Crafter' sounds good as a name goes, but what in-game mechanics would it grant that doesn't really violate the spirit of the game?

Can we get an "buy a telent tree point" step in the tutorial? Some new poeple i started out with had 0 idea about this feature.

This has definitely been suggested. The starting quests are still needing to be refined, but for the most part, it is pretty self explanatory.

I get it it's a sandbox game but will there be some NPCs in the future who offer small quests like "bring me 10 branches!" or stuff like that? I know everything is Alpha I'm just intrested.

This doesn't fit Fractured AT ALL! They want the economy to be 100% player driven, so it wouldn't make sense for an NPC to send people out on Fetch Quests like that. There is talk about introducing some minor NPCs, like City Guards, and a Market Minder type, but as far as Quest Givers, the game is definitely not the kind you want to be taken over by Quests. The only quests in the game are the starting 'How to play' quests, and that is probably for the best.

When will the other races be playable? In another Alpha? In Beta? No eta yet?

Originally, this test was supposed to include the Beast-kin Race, but they ended up not being ready and they withdrew that promise before they started really ramping up for this particular Alpha. Beast-kin will probably arrive early next year at the earliest. No anticipation on the Demon race, and 99.9% of the Alpha testing (if not 100%) will be on Syndesia anyway. The races are very planet specific, with a limited lifespan on the other planets as a rule. This will most likely be waived in Alpha for testing purposes, but for ease of testing, they will probably stick to 1 continent at least into Beta.

Will we get more char creation options? Not only hairstyles and stuff but starting perks as well? Are different looks a planned mtx thing for release to create more money (what is fair from my point of view ^^)?

Cosmetics will be the main thing you'll be able to buy in the store upon release. They have promised no pay-to-win micro-transaction hell in this game, so the only way they expect to make a residual income is things like cosmetics. So different character looks will probably be there.
    As to different perks, right now, the 'perks' or starting skills/abilities are linked to the Build you choose. They have just now introduced 2 new builds, the Roguish Build and the Bowman Build(I forget their exact names) to add to the Arcanist and the Gladiator builds that already had existed. They also changed some of the starting skills for the original builds, so there is that. That part of the game is ever evolving. They have promised something like a Bard build will be possible in the future, so here's crossing our fingers.

Why are there difficultys on the backrounds of char creation? You should get rid of these so players can gravitate to the classes they want to like to play :).

I don't know what you mean about 'difficulties'. I didn't notice if they rated how difficult a specific build was to play in the game, but if they did that, that would be a helpful tool for beginners to MMOs. Rating the difficulty doesn't mean they set the difficulty, it means more that after building a specific build, and playtesting it in-house, they determined which build was more complex than the others, and might take more of a learning curve. This is normal in MMOs. It is often found that straight Melee builds are the easiest, and Hybrid Combat/Casters are the most complex, so having a helpful aid to show a newb which is which only adds to the overall playability.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@GamerSeuss said in Questions/Suggestions about things I like to see...:

Sword and Board is directly supported. Almost any of the general Melee Talents can be used with Sword and Board, and all of the Martial Skills pretty much work with either a blunt or a blade. That means Sword and Board, as well as its chief varient, Mace and Board are both supported.

Servers are down so I can't get the offical skill names right now buuuut if you don't use a spear in the beginning You can use net throw and Charge but not your hard hitting attack that is bound to Heavy weapons aka the spear. You are pidgeonholed into one weapon in the beginning while there are a ton available. This get's better later on for sure but in the beginning it worried me a lot :). When you get more skills more viable weapon options open up for sure.

How are S&D directly support? haven't seen any kind of talents for it in the talent tree but that's maybe my oversight.

In addition to that, there are generally a lot of talents that help with health and vitality, which are general use for everyone.

Will there be some crafting and gathering talent branches in the future? I think it's a missed opportunity to leave this out of the picture. Yes in a classless system everyone should be able to do everything I get it but there should be something for people who like to dedicate their time in crafting or gathering. Will there be some additions in the future?

This is a tough one. We've talked about this at length (as players, I'm not a Dev.) and the hard part here is since there is no real degree of success really in regards to crafting and gathering, it's pretty straight forward, what talents would you add. Something like 'Expert Crafter' sounds good as a name goes, but what in-game mechanics would it grant that doesn't really violate the spirit of the game?

When I compare it to D&D for example you could simply rquire to have a certain rank in a profession to be able to do +1 or +2 weapons or to use certain materials the produced weapon benefit from. Like everyone can make a stone dagger but you need some experince in blacksmithing and melting to be able to craft a bronze dagger. just some easy to aquire goals for produce up to +1 and a bit of a grind for better stuff while you need to craft a ton of stuff to be able to craft the highest tier stuff. Nothing overcomplicated but just some checkmarks to be fullfilled to make certain stuff outside of heaving the tech and the mats.

Can we get an "buy a telent tree point" step in the tutorial? Some new poeple i started out with had 0 idea about this feature.

This has definitely been suggested. The starting quests are still needing to be refined, but for the most part, it is pretty self explanatory.

Yeah but then again it seems like people have still problems with stufff that seems obvious to someone else :).

I get it it's a sandbox game but will there be some NPCs in the future who offer small quests like "bring me 10 branches!" or stuff like that? I know everything is Alpha I'm just intrested.

This doesn't fit Fractured AT ALL! They want the economy to be 100% player driven, so it wouldn't make sense for an NPC to send people out on Fetch Quests like that. There is talk about introducing some minor NPCs, like City Guards, and a Market Minder type, but as far as Quest Givers, the game is definitely not the kind you want to be taken over by Quests. The only quests in the game are the starting 'How to play' quests, and that is probably for the best.

I don't talk about economy I talk about a livinf breathing world without empty hubs. Deserted towns and fields are nothing that drives immersion. If for example an elderly women in her cottage in the woods ask me to bring her 10 branches so she has firewood and i get 5 mushrooms she collected the other day noone is hurt. It's just imersion for me instead of spawning in an empty place with some buildings where a ghost started some firers whre I can rest and use my presets :). If I missed a "Everyone vanished and you are somehow the only living beeings left" kind of apocalytical story plot please point me at it :). I DON'T want earthshattering storylines with a ton of benefits bound to them but everyday people aka NPCs want stuff done as well 🙂 Maybe it's even regional stuff like "We got a wolve plague please kill xyz wolves near the hub so we feel more save" will be something that won't hurt the game but offers immersion.

When will the other races be playable? In another Alpha? In Beta? No eta yet?

Originally, this test was supposed to include the Beast-kin Race, but they ended up not being ready and they withdrew that promise before they started really ramping up for this particular Alpha. Beast-kin will probably arrive early next year at the earliest. No anticipation on the Demon race, and 99.9% of the Alpha testing (if not 100%) will be on Syndesia anyway. The races are very planet specific, with a limited lifespan on the other planets as a rule. This will most likely be waived in Alpha for testing purposes, but for ease of testing, they will probably stick to 1 continent at least into Beta.

Thanks for the answer :).

Will we get more char creation options? Not only hairstyles and stuff but starting perks as well? Are different looks a planned mtx thing for release to create more money (what is fair from my point of view ^^)?

Cosmetics will be the main thing you'll be able to buy in the store upon release. They have promised no pay-to-win micro-transaction hell in this game, so the only way they expect to make a residual income is things like cosmetics. So different character looks will probably be there.
    As to different perks, right now, the 'perks' or starting skills/abilities are linked to the Build you choose. They have just now introduced 2 new builds, the Roguish Build and the Bowman Build(I forget their exact names) to add to the Arcanist and the Gladiator builds that already had existed. They also changed some of the starting skills for the original builds, so there is that. That part of the game is ever evolving. They have promised something like a Bard build will be possible in the future, so here's crossing our fingers.

Thanks again 🙂

Why are there difficultys on the backrounds of char creation? You should get rid of these so players can gravitate to the classes they want to like to play :).

I don't know what you mean about 'difficulties'. I didn't notice if they rated how difficult a specific build was to play in the game, but if they did that, that would be a helpful tool for beginners to MMOs. Rating the difficulty doesn't mean they set the difficulty, it means more that after building a specific build, and playtesting it in-house, they determined which build was more complex than the others, and might take more of a learning curve. This is normal in MMOs. It is often found that straight Melee builds are the easiest, and Hybrid Combat/Casters are the most complex, so having a helpful aid to show a newb which is which only adds to the overall playability.

Mage is considered "Hard" by the game while Bowman is considered "Easy" for example. Mage is braindead difficulty while I have to micro a lot with the bowman like arrows, bags full of crap to make arrows and so on. I think it will be better to remove said difficultys because each backround has it's pros and cons.

Thanks for your time answering everything 🙂

• Content Creator

@Irrelevant The game wants to avoid NPCs as much as possible. The only real residents of the game they want to be the PCs. So your probably not going to get your fetch quests. It's a living, breathing world, We're just the only living breathing ones in it for the most part. NPCs at most will be very specific job bots that do not hand out quests, at best they will pass messages and stuff along set by other players.

Historically speaking, it took skill and nobility to wield a sword, so it makes sense the starting game focuses in on the Spear (the cheapest, easiest weapon to make/use as a peasant militia) and all classes are started out that way. The Skills not being focused on Sword and Board in the starter set thus makes sense. Shoot, for Mages, wands haven't even been implemented yet, we start out with Staves, and have to wait until we can get Rapiers for an alternate spell channeling weapon. Sword and Board people have to wait until the Blacksmithy can make swords, and then you can get a sword. By then, you should have sword related skills unlocked. There are no sword and board specific talents, because they aren't needed. The advantages of that fighting style speaks for itself, and they have started to adjust the talents anyway. The general talents to increase Strength or Dexterity, Precision and especially the use of Armor are all good talents for the Sword and Board character. I haven't looked deeply in the new modified tree on the Melee side yet, but there also used to be a Shield specific sub-branch of the talent tree if I remember correctly from previous tests. Shoot, again, Mages are severely limited on their Mana and Mana Regen, and there used to be Mana Regen talents that they took away, so we're running low on mana all the time.

Suffice it to say, it's the beginnings, when you are using the training wheels, once you graduate to heavier weapons and armor, you'll have associated skills and talents to support them, but don't expect them out of the gate...nobody is getting that, Bowmen are using promotive bows, melee are stuck with Spears, Hammers and Axes, maybe a mace, mages are using staves, and I'm not even sure what the rogues have yet.

They talked about requiring a Talent to do skills, but they nixed that idea. They want all the skills open to everyone, and then the game controls/limits access to the skilling resources instead. This means they don't have any real skill based talents to offer.

As to the difficulties, they want people to have to work for things, and they do want the dichotomy of 'easy' roles as opposed to 'hard' roles, because it is more realistic. They want Bowmen to have to craft arrows and keep track of how many they have before restocking. They want the durability of equipment to go down, with NO option to repair, they even apparently want mages to have to husband their mana and choose wisely, as the regen has been turned down by quite a bit. The Devs want these difficulties to keep up the long term playability of the game, BECAUSE they don't want to have a Quest-driven game, full of Instances and Boss Monsters that would then need equitable non-player crafted Treasure to make them worthwhile events. This game is meant to scratch a much different itch than what you seem to be wanting.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@GamerSeuss If they want to avoid NPCs okay it's not my game and if the playerbase they aim for like it that way who am I to tell otherwise. The only thing I know is the people I know closer and played longer with will avoid such games like the plague because a world without NPCs is dead to them ^^. At least some fluff NPCs should run arroud there.

Hicstoricly speaking someone smaked a rockon someone elses head... I don't know about the history of Fractureds world all I know there aren't even talents to compliment S&B playstyle (yet?) and a darn wooden stick blocks better then a shield ^^.

They might come up with more tank love in the future I don't know but right now shields seem utter useless. No idea if later shields yield better % block rates thou :). Right now you have a 2handed weapon branch, a carry weight branch and a physical damage reduce branch. There is a side branch with 2 shield nodes that are under construction so no idea where this is going ^^.

Played melee mage 0 mana issues and facetank most stuff outside of some obvious ugly enemys. There are already some fun different options you can toy arround with.

I might misrepresented my case: I don't want everything out of the gate but i want valid options to make stuff viable and equaly approachable as other stuff. When I look at the benefits of using a twohanded weapon and there is NOTHING for onehanded weapons in the melee tree it seems strange to me :).

I mainly don't speak about the difficultys ingame rather then the difficultys shown at char creation. melee and bow are marked as "easy" while mage is medium and Street Rat is hard. i think showing these is pretty much useless and not realy accurate due to ingame circumstances like building bows or using attribute setups that make early game easier. Played an Assa 0 issues, mage 0 issues, deleted a ranger because arrows, played a mage 0 issues deleted a melee because boring and pidgenholed. There are many more things to consider then a difficulty shown at char creation from my point of view :).

• Content Creator

I mainly don't speak about the difficultys ingame rather then the difficultys shown at char creation. melee and bow are marked as "easy" while mage is medium and Street Rat is hard. i think showing these is pretty much useless and not realy accurate due to ingame circumstances like building bows or using attribute setups that make early game easier. Played an Assa 0 issues, mage 0 issues, deleted a ranger because arrows, played a mage 0 issues deleted a melee because boring and pidgenholed. There are many more things to consider then a difficulty shown at char creation from my point of view :).

Your last statement here is the telling one..."from your point of view"

When a game, like an MMO includes things like average difficulty of an archetype/class in character creation, it is not meant for veteran MMO players. It is meant for beginners, to give them a starting point. By the Devs logic, as a veteran, you already know what you want to play, and what's going to be easiest/hardest/most enjoyable to you. They are not hard and fast, they are suggestions for the uninitiated.

Also, as was said in one of my previous posts, if you and yours hate no-NPC games, mayhaps Fractured is not for you. The Devs here are trying to go for something new, and different, and a totally player run game is a huge part of that. No fetch quests, no fluff NPCs, no hirelings, etc...

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured