protecting your settlement

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

let's say a guild decided to start a town in the wild ; will there be some kind of barrier generating item that would hinder evils from invading / keep monsters away ? or recruiting NPCs from other places ? if not how will you protect it ?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@pexellzz At the moment about this little information, we can only assume. Mb you someone something and will tell

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I think towns/settlements are probably restricted to certain housing spaces. If they were to implement a system that could place structures all over the place, they would definitely have a reason and a solution.

• Wiki Editor

@chrightt To restrict building just in special housing areas would be against the sandbox they mentioned.
    Housing areas are great for Themepark MMOs, because the world itself is static.
    But i bet most player who are attracted by the sandbox element would drop the game if the sandbox is not a real sandbox.
    And if we get a real sandbox, then there is a must have for defending elements for building.
    There can be a claimsystem, that secure the space for the owner, but even this claim should be possible to siege.

For me personally it would be a totally minus for Fractured if the sandbox will be just instanced and seperated from the world we walk through.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@pexellzz, @Kralith This is what we know for now! For sure on Syndesia siege will happen ๐Ÿ˜‰ Dunno about Arboreus.

@prometheus said in Cities:

@meangroundhog said in Cities:

Will there be a limit to how much you can build or will it be so that there is a limited area?
    This to maybe stop the world from becoming one big city

There are area limits, both for cities and for other kinds of privately owned buildings - such as farms. The world definitely won't turn into "one big city" or a random mass of houses!

@prometheus said in Cities:

@juan514 said in Cities:

@benseine Let's make sieges a thing

They'll be a thing! Spotlights comiiing!

The Thread - Home > Questions & Answers > Cities

• Wiki Editor

Well, restrictions are okay. Just let hope, the limits are not that hard, that the world is empty, because player just st sit in their houses somewhere in the nowhere-housing areas. ๐Ÿ˜›

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kralith Sandbox does not imply housing area is an "all go". Take Archeage for an example. It is definitely a sandbox MMORPG. Housing can be placed anywhere in anyway as long as it is a housing space. Sandbox does not mean you can build a house in the very middle of the most populated town square just because you want it to. It is like saying you want to build your house inside Albion online's town and charge anyone who passes by a 1 million fee.

• Wiki Editor

@chrightt Yes, i know this systems, but the fear about seperated housing areas/places are the not social acting community.
    I know especially in Archage, where the housing spaces was hoarded by a few player and new player had almost no chance to get a free space.
    I would suggest a more opposite system:
    The devs should create restricted areas around their own settlements and places they don't want to get changed and the player can build outside in the world wherever they want.

I can just take again Salem as an example:

• Maintown of Salem is an restriced claim by Devs, also all traveling points are restricted, so noone can build there anything.
    • Outside of the world it is possible to build at any place your own settlement. When you build a settlement, then you claim an area depending on the ingame money you wanted to spend. Between 2 claims there is a non claimable area of 3 tiles, so you can't overlap claims and it is always possible to travel between them.
    • There are some bigger towns in Salem, but not "one mega town", because the player itself regulating the placement. Especially the bigger towns don't want another one next to them, in reason of free space and ressources and the possibility to expand the town later. So they questioned the too close settlement owner (if they was lucky, they did it friendly) to move elsewhere.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kralith

cit. Prometheus

The world definitely won't turn into "one big city" or a random mass of houses!

• Wiki Editor

@Finland Yes i know i know.
    But even Prometheus and the team don't want "one big city" or "random mass on houses", we don't know much about the system they will implement for settlements.
    I just hope it will not be so restricted or limited, that you just can build without any atmosphere and every settlement looks like all other and it will be no fun to create your own special place.
    Well, i guess at the end we have to wait, till they give us more information about the settlements.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I think NPC defenders as well as hire-able guards would be a fun way to do it. That way older houses that have been abandoned by players, or ones that aren't being funded would be torn apart by monsters and players, etc. But ones that are more well-funded with NPC guards everywhere are able to hold off the monsters wandering the lands, as well as other players!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I played a game where roaming npc monsters would destroy the housing areas. it was great because it could cause players to band together to defend housing areas and it helped the crafters repair houses.

the housing areas varied between 10 and a few hundred plots. there was lamp post, trellis and other cosmetic items that could be repaired. Roads could be repaired so the +10-15% speed bonus could be applied.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

I think hiring guards should be available, but create a balance between how much you expand to how many guards you need to hire.
    So if guards patrol a settlement, they can do quick rounds if it is small, but the larger it is, the longer it will take them to get to a place where it is attacked.
    This could allow players to try and steal from you settlement instead of attacking it, if they spot a place with not many guards.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@ddox balance is impossible! A guild of 20 could try to sige or a guild of 300. More money/resources your guild gather more guards you can hire. You should be able to hire enough guards to defend the settlement in the worst case.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@finland it's possible to balance it if you put a cap in it too how much npc's you can hire.

Take WvW in gw2 for example. A solo player can destroy a tier0 supply camp. But at tier 2-3 it's almost impossible. Same idea can be applied to settlements here.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@benseine limit to the npc to hire? I doubt that will be a limit of the number of players attacking

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

I expect an Ultima Online-inspired system where you can build houses "anywhere" as long as there's space for the initial plot. The area must be marked as house-enabled, which in practice was more or less anywhere that wasn't a city, alongside a special residential district in Luna.

Houses themselves are indestructible and all doors are automatically locked, but if you forget to lock down furniture it can be picked up and taken out of the house, and if you forget to secure containers they can be looted. Fractured would most likely adjust all locks to account for players' thievery skills.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@finland said in protecting your settlement:

@benseine limit to the npc to hire? I doubt that will be a limit of the number of players attacking

Well it would be silly if you can protect your farm by placing 300 elite npc's there. If a zerg wants to waste their time to destroy your single farm then that is just bad luck.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@benseine said in protecting your settlement:

@finland said in protecting your settlement:

Well it would be silly if you can protect your farm by placing 300 elite npc's there. If a zerg wants to waste their time to destroy your single farm then that is just bad luck.

Would be nice to know if enemies can only destroy your settlement or also conquest it. I hope only the destry thingy.
    About the number should be a queue limitation. Bigger your settlement is faster the queue to hire guards will be. Would be nice also a variety of npc to hire and not only the common guardsman (shield+sword). Maybe also siege weapons for both defence and attackers,

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@finland again look at WvW in gw2. If you have a canon or an arrow cart on the balcony of your house, plus a handfull of npc elites, you can defend yourself pretty well against a much larger group.

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured