"Town controlled area" doesn't exist - how will that work in future?

• Wiki Editor

While we discuss about the both threads about Town Management and Town Businesses, it occurred to us that mostly the feature "town controlled area" isn't existing and is mainly the reason many things don't work as expected.

Towns and their areas around was supposed to be controlled areas.
    That worked well in last tests with the resource nodes, and for this reason also the trading of this materials, since a town had exclusive access to that materials.

Now mining nodes are accessible by everyone.
    "Controlled area" is something that just exist on a paper, we not even know ingame where our areas start and where they end.
    We don't have any chance to find intruders, except we see them by accident. Or riding around with 20 people 24/7, spreaded all over the area.
    There is no malus for stealing the resources, there is no announcement when someone is trying it.
    Nothing.

People just can grab the stuff they need.
    No need to even go to a market to buy it. Even IF there were a marketplace.
    One of the reasons towns didn't invested into a market place. What they should sell exclusively?

So, how we can control our area?
    How it will work in future?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Kralith

Answer, you will see a lot less governors cause its actually not worth running a town at all and more advantageous to just "use" someone elses town.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I actually think @Ostaff’s response there is perfectly valid, however that brings me to a very real current problem. I feel like seeing an unoccupied city with tons of surrounding “suburbs” is frankly sad. I do hope that by beta/release we will have something better where wild homes are possible, but also there will be nothing where these cities are now until they are claimed and developed. Strolling through empty plots just feels odd. Maybe there could be a particular monster or animal spawn that is prevalent in areas that would be cities if purchased and developed. Obviously.. this is alpha so just trialing stuff out, but I feel like that might be a better look.

@Scozzi

That's actually a good idea. Kinda like the node system in AoC. All unpurchased Cities will have "boss mobs" and their minions which will need to be defeated before making a city there 🙂

And once a city is purchased THEN show all the residential areas and etc for the area.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Not bad. although that would eliminate the possibility of claiming a city location before the game starts... Which I am not opposed to at all.
    I would love to see all players have to choose a port to start from and then have to wander a map hidden by fog of war until finding a spot camped by monsters that they need to clear before building a town and getting access to anything other than their default crafting menu.
    Have the starter towns be off the map locations that once left can never be returned to.
    Instead of locking out resource nodes of areas not in a cities region just make them camped by monsters (that give no gold). If a city exists then the monster spawn of that region is reduced.
    It still would heavily encourage large group organization, communication and cooperation.

• Wiki Editor

@Ostaff said in "Town controlled area" doesn't exist - how will that work in future?:

@Kralith

Answer, you will see a lot less governors cause its actually not worth running a town at all and more advantageous to just "use" someone elses town.

Almost.
    Someone has to do this work to upgrade a town to max, that the people are able to do anything. And they have to become citizen, to be able to really have access to all the stuff in that town.

But more than that everyone has easy access to every stuff ingame, a town isn‘t standing.
    There is literally nothing in towns that is worth to siege.
    Not materials, because you can get them so or so, not other stuff, since towns don‘t store their stuff in town for reason of lack of permission system. Nor personal plot stuff, since it is simply not enough space in town for them, if you want to get higher than rank 11.

I also was expecting some area conflicts, but there is no cause to do that. Before you know anyone is using your ressources, the guy is already miles away and you not even know who it was.
    Well maybe it should get considered as an criminal act and the one who is doing it gets a red flag, that would maybe solve it.

Honestly I believe that @idioticmaddog had the best idea in this regard.
    Restrict the resources to the residents of that region.
    A compromise between the actual system which allows too much freedom and the previous sytem which was too restrictive.

Improves trading and gives "control" over an area.

@OlivePit said in "Town controlled area" doesn't exist - how will that work in future?:

Not bad. although that would eliminate the possibility of claiming a city location before the game starts... Which I am not opposed to at all.
    I would love to see all players have to choose a port to start from and then have to wander a map hidden by fog of war until finding a spot camped by monsters that they need to clear before building a town and getting access to anything other than their default crafting menu.
    Have the starter towns be off the map locations that once left can never be returned to.
    Instead of locking out resource nodes of areas not in a cities region just make them camped by monsters (that give no gold). If a city exists then the monster spawn of that region is reduced.
    It still would heavily encourage large group organization, communication and cooperation.

There is one MAJOR issue with this though. Some players spent LOTS of money, purely to become a governor and claim a town from the very beginning. Doing this would rip a lot of the worth of some people's pledge packs. This is especially true for the highest tier pledge packs.

governor rights.jpg

@spoletta said in "Town controlled area" doesn't exist - how will that work in future?:

Honestly I believe that @idioticmaddog had the best idea in this regard.
    Restrict the resources to the residents of that region.
    A compromise between the actual system which allows too much freedom and the previous sytem which was too restrictive.

Improves trading and gives "control" over an area.

I would definitely be down for trying this in the next test - but only in conjunction w @Kralith's suggestion about the default Olde Towne Tradinge Centere for heavy mats/resources and the more advanced option to invest tech in individualized Shoppes selling craftworks.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@Xzait
    I cant speak to that as I did not know of the game when it was available but probably would have bought it if I could if just so I could give other players the opportunity to support a different vision than those currently being offered by the governors/guild leaders in the game.
    Like putting down a city with a market.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured