Fix Health / Death penalty

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I understand you want to make a difference between a campfire and a tavern or house fire pit. However, if you're far away from your home or an available tavern/house fire, the death penalty can become restrictive very easily. You might want to rethink the severe penalty.

• Wiki Editor

@KirwinHansel That is not a bug, thats intended.
    Initial game design idea is: You need to prepare yourself before going out in the wilderness.
    That also means, that you need to go back early enough to heal your wounds, before you die.
    A small hint: You can do that at every house with a fireplace, not just at your home. It is even recommended to do it at the last house before your fighting hot spot, for reason of a close respawn point, if you really die.

If you want to make a suggestion for that, you can please @Specter to move your thread to the Alpha Discussion&Feedback section. ๐Ÿ™‚

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Kralith

I think those wonderful people who spend their time building those nice firepits next to our main killing zones should be rewarded somehow... maybe... they could add a "tax" for using their firepits that will go to the owner? This will make viable "outer city inns and taverns" a thing ๐Ÿ™‚

(Cozies up nice and close to the fire)

• Content Creator

Another option would be to have some kind of tip jar chest that would allow people to deposit gold and/or goods in, but only the town owner to withdraw anything (and their designated agents)

@Kralith said in Fix Health / Death penalty:

That is not a bug, thats intended.

And it's bad design. The content in the game is already inefficient; PvE death compounds it. Fractured is pushing away potential customers who don't have long sessions to spend playing Fractured.

That increases the likelihood that the Fractured world won't be well-populated, which in turn will lead to less content, and even fewer people sticking around: a death spiral.

I played Lord of the Rings Online for about ten years. If my โ€œhealthโ€ bar goes down to zero I resurrect at a stone circle far away. My equipment is heavily damaged and I have a heavy debuff for 10 minutes so that I avoid any fights for 10 minutes.

When my health bar goes down to zero at Fractured I go down and have to wait for 30 seconds. After that the monsters cannot see me for 10 seconds so I can leave the area without problems.

This is easy mode.

If I go back to the monster and fight again then I can go down 5 times before I die. That are 5 chances to flee...

• Wiki Editor

@Roccandil you think easy mode let people stick around?
    Easy mode games will get "played through" fast and people will leave it after short time, because it isn't challenging, boring and without a soul.
    Did you ever thought about, that people are here, because it was promised not to be an easy mode game, as we have countless and countless out there?

Easy mode games will get "played through" fast and people will leave it after short time, because it isn't challenging, boring and without a soul.
    Did you ever thought about, that people are here, because it was promised not to be an easy mode game, as we have countless and countless out there?

That's a thoughtless answer, with a predictable insult. It isn't about easy content, it's about efficient content. It's logistics, not tactics. ๐Ÿ™‚

For example, Albion Online has perhaps the most balanced handling of PvE "death" I've ever seen. It's a significant penalty to get knocked down while fighting a mob pull in PvE, and can ultimately mean failure to bring down a hard boss. It does not, however, break up the party, and it's thus a content-efficient solution.

Is Albion Online "easy mode"? ๐Ÿ™‚

For many people who don't have hours to spend on game sessions, this is the problem:

• Getting a PvE party together can be significant overhead
    • Getting to the content in Fractured is also significant overhead
    • Once in the actual content, location loss from PvE death interrupts the content and puts folks back into overhead mode

I don't see many people putting up with that for long, no matter how many clueless "easy-mode" insults are thrown their way. Our time is valuable, and the more inefficient Fractured's content is, the easier it will be to find another game to provide better content.

As far as I can tell, Fractured is well on its way to being a small, niche game, with a mostly empty world.

I think the main problem is that the monsters do not reset.

I also caught myself yesterday going down three times with the spiders and zombies just to kill the last spider ๐Ÿ™‚

• Wiki Editor

@Roccandil said in Fix Health / Death penalty:

That's a thoughtless answer, with a predictable insult.

Uhhhhmmm what?
    Okay, maybe something got lost in translation.
    I am sorry, if i insulted you, that wasn't intended. ๐Ÿ˜ž

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Just to mention the early mentioned aims of the game and going a bit into the discussion here, without making people angry^^:
    Fractured was, as @Kralith also already said, that exploring and time consuming hunting and especially travelling should be the focus of the game. Especially the points @Roccandil mentioned are basically found in every MMO. You need to find a group of players for hard mobs, you need to spend hours and hours of time to grind and get the best equipment, etc.

Fractured is made form the beginning to have less focus on grinding and therefore more focus on exploring and traveling, which is for some players of cours annoying but for others very nice ๐Ÿ™‚
    I prefer for example walking through the world and gaining experience instead of doing the same quest 100 times in order to get a nice reward. That is all just personal and not necessarily bad design, it is just different.
    ANd we can discuss about the death penalty, but it is as said before, you should need to prepare before traveling, you need to be more careful and take care about the life of your char as it is yours ๐Ÿ™‚
    That can be tough but it is a step many MMOs don't want to go, and that makes Fractured special.

What @Blectorn mentioned is indeed a problem, that you might get really into problems if you collapse too close to enemies ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Content Creator

@Roccandil said in Fix Health / Death penalty:

That's a thoughtless answer, with a predictable insult. It isn't about easy content, it's about efficient content. It's logistics, not tactics. ๐Ÿ™‚

For example, Albion Online has perhaps the most balanced handling of PvE "death" I've ever seen. It's a significant penalty to get knocked down while fighting a mob pull in PvE, and can ultimately mean failure to bring down a hard boss. It does not, however, break up the party, and it's thus a content-efficient solution.

Is Albion Online "easy mode"? ๐Ÿ™‚

For many people who don't have hours to spend on game sessions, this is the problem:

• Getting a PvE party together can be significant overhead
    • Getting to the content in Fractured is also significant overhead
    • Once in the actual content, location loss from PvE death interrupts the content and puts folks back into overhead mode

I don't see many people putting up with that for long, no matter how many clueless "easy-mode" insults are thrown their way. Our time is valuable, and the more inefficient Fractured's content is, the easier it will be to find another game to provide better content.

As far as I can tell, Fractured is well on its way to being a small, niche game, with a mostly empty world.

Yes, in a lot of ways, Albion Online is Easy Mode.

they used to let campfires cure everything and let you respect your talents and skills, that was never the intent to keep, but originally, towns weren't really a thing yet. Most of us made a sigh of relief once campfires were moved back from being a full restore rest point. We, the backers of the game, for the most part, want a game where we feel like survival is an accomplishment, and frankly, Fractured handles it quite well, while still giving you some get out of trouble free situations like the fact you only lose 15% of your max health each time you go down, and you get a 10 second 'safety' to run away. It's certainly not Easy mode, but it is very forgiving, it strikes the right balance in a lot of us.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

If they're focusing on loot grinding activities, the health penalty makes the grinding much harder. Especially if your city is on the other side of a chain of mountains that you must run halfway around the world to get to so we can drop off our stuff and there are no player cities around that are not in ruin or active.

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured