Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

this is what i like in fractured, there is 3 different systems, that should take care to kind of players.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Roccandil it is worth the cost if you just don't die

@MaxFlex said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@Roccandil it is worth the cost if you just don't die

Your gear wears out and breaks even if you don't die. Gear/enchants aren't worth it to me right now.

• Content Creator

@Roccandil said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

Your gear wears out and breaks even if you don't die. Gear/enchants aren't worth it to me right now.

It being an Alpha Test, its not really going to be super worth it right now. That's just to be expected. You can only enchant to tier 2 at best right now anyway. The point of having it in the test right now is more to test out if the gear and enchantments work, and there have been bugs found in that regard, which just goes to validate that very inclusion. Also, some of the Alpha Players are putting things through their paces to the point that even the little bit of protection and bump that gear does allow makes a real difference in their playing experience, even if it wears out on them and needs must be replaced. One of my favorite things to do is sit and enchant suits of armor for Me and my guild.We still strive to have the best possible armor on our characters, and at least 1 good back-up suit in the bank or a storage trunk in one of our houses. Gathering Reagents thus becomes an even more vital sub-game during the alpha.

Ultimately you have to look at an Alpha as an Alpha Test, not a fully fleshed out game, and don't expect things to be WORTH IT at all. Expect to test things, sometimes tediously test and retest things with very minimal game, just to make sure the mechanics of said things run smoothly and no bugs are found. Sure, give your opinion on what you want the final product to look like, the Devs have encouraged that from the start, BUT they have also set forth certain basic design credos that you shouldn't expect them to abandon just because a small number of potential players, despite having read the intentions from the very beginning, believe these credos are not their cup of tea. Fast travel is NOT a big priority on this game's horizon, in fact, they want to make it so you have to physically take the trip around the various locations in order to develop the real merchant economy system they intend. This means that dying to transport too and fro is not exactly something they will be encouraging. Granted, dying leaves your stuff behind, thus such travel would not affect the merchant aspect of the game over-much, but also, Dying and losing your corpse is a standard Trope of MMOs as well. They have also stated that they intended from the very beginning that your gear should degrade and need to be replaced constantly, to encourage the merchant-effect again, and to keep characters from maxing out skills and talents and then finding their optimum gear build and then resting on their laurels. THEY WANT IT TO BREAK DOWN!

@GamerSeuss said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

You can only enchant to tier 2 at best right now anyway.

And even that's a pain far greater than the benefit. πŸ™‚

@GamerSeuss said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

don't expect things to be WORTH IT at all.

Some things, though, are already highly worth it to me.

They have also stated that they intended from the very beginning that your gear should degrade and need to be replaced constantly, to encourage the merchant-effect again, and to keep characters from maxing out skills and talents and then finding their optimum gear build and then resting on their laurels. THEY WANT IT TO BREAK DOWN!

Exactly: that's a design principle, not an artifact of Alpha, and I disagree with their approach.

Here's one way of looking at it: two naked mages can do far more together than one mage in the best gear with the best enchants, and they risk far less.

And the best enchanted gear right now is a pain to get/make, much less anything beyond it. I don't expect higher-tier enchants or gear to get any easier to make.

All the developer's approach really does is promote repetition, which is a substitute for good, diverse gameplay. In my case, that approach won't stimulate the economy; it will suppress it, because it simply won't be worth it to me to participate.

I'll just make whatever gear I can mass-produce, and not bother with anything better.

It is said that the basic gear will be relatively easy to replace, therefore, this will make the death somewhat easier to handle. Of course using basic gear or the finest Gucci at the open world separates casuals from competitive players. However, forcing people running around long distances naked can be considered wasting players gaming time. Therefore, resurrection to home, guild hall or closest town could be good options. Then player can decide how he goes back to the corpse, if he want to, or if that is reasonable at the first place.

• Content Creator

@Lohen said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@Nekrage said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I have tested many MMOs recently and there are quite a few that have players killing themselves just to teleport back to town. This needs to be avoided at ALL costs.

Travel time and death need to be REAL things in Fractured.

You should be penalized SEVERELY for your mistakes.

dude dont try to drive your opinions and values on the devs and the game

Excuse me?

"Don't give suggestions on these forums." is essentially what you just said.

Do you know how idiotic that sounds? This entire thread is based off an opinion. You should be making that statement to everyone who ever gives feedback or a suggestion on these forums right?

Really stupid stance to have.

• Content Creator

@Lohen said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@SmithyJones i really was contemplating if i should respond to this or not
    part of me thinks your post is a troll post or an unnecessary negative one.

but nonetheless here we go

first things first: how did you really die? not just knocked out but really dying ...
    did you played the tutorial? Do you understand the dynamic between life and endurance? Did you read the spotlight in the forum which explain the background dynamics in detail?
    those questions are not here to defame you but for me/us to understand.

@SmithyJones said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I'm so irritated right now, I keep wasting so much timer crafting gear, enchanting (with the damn random luck of getting something good)

soooo ... the enchanting isn't random or lucky at all. its following its own rules. pls read the blogs about it or search for the vandir enchantment tool. some people did all this crazy stuff and have something that even say what ingredients you need for which tier enchantment.
    time crafting ... i guess it crafts for like 4 seconds for one part. the materials you find on the way. the starter equipment is easy to catch and you can even craft it on your way with fibers and wood. ++

@SmithyJones said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

What's the point crafting, gathering the better mats to improve your gear and even to enchant that is such a crazy hunt for material and kinda luck to get the stats you want
    the gear at the moment is pretty rudimental. we have 2 tiers for each set with one standard and one slightly better set with direwolf hide and spider silk. both materials are pretty fast to collect if you know where and how. and thats the point in the game. getting yourself more knowledgeable. after your death experience i hope you learned enough to not do the same mistakes again.
    always have enough sticks and stones for a campfire, watch your health bar (the red one), dont collect everything thats lying around (for enchantment you want ingredients with 4 or at least 3 points for the desired effect)

and the last point:

Then everybody have the time in the world to give advise but not to help retrieve your body... I guess I need to lower my expectations...
    you expect people to offer their time for your mishaps. if you are in starter town and died in the vale you expect to just gift 1h of the playtime from a random player so that you can retrieve items and gear you can collect and craft in that hour on your own.
    to "expect" people to "help" you with the attitude you shown in your post here ... i would not do this either
    work on your attitude, get some knowledge (either read the spotlights or make your own hard experience) and stop blaming others for your mistakes

"dude dont try to drive your opinions and values on the devs and the game"

holy shit @Nekrage
    how can you try to quote someone and fuck up so hard πŸ˜„

the words that you lay in my mouth here are neither "essentially" nor even close to what i said
    im questioning your wording like "This needs to be avoided at ALL costs"
    (quoting with actually said/written words, you see?)
    this quoted sentenced is your opinion you want to see realiezed "at all costs"
    so you drive your damn opinion onto them

what you tried next, to defame me for my own words, doesnt work either. There is no opinion driving onto the devs just stating a players fundamental knowledge isnt enough
    can you see the difference?

i can give you a pretty good example
    "i, Nekrage, cant quote correctly and like small rods" is essentially what you posted.
    see something?
    i hope you can learn something in this post because you really behave like a spoiled brat (more than once already)

have a nice day πŸ˜‰

• Content Creator

@Lohen You attempted to start a forum war because you don't like the fact that I post on these forums.

Nothing I stated is any different than your posts or the posts of others in this thread.

All of it is feedback.

Don't start forum wars in an attempt to derail the thread.

Grow up. You're behaving like a spoiled brat.

• Content Creator

@Roccandil said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

Exactly: that's a design principle, not an artifact of Alpha, and I disagree with their approach.

The developers have been clear from the very beginning about their design philosophies. Although they are calling for player feedback on ideas on how to improve the game, they have also said they will NOT BE compromising their design principals to do so. They want to make a game unlike other games, and one of the ways that they will do that, and one of the things they need to be sure of, given how they brought their backers into the fold, is by NEVER compromising their design principles.

Suggest new avenues of exploration, new ways to do things, new approaches to gameplay, BUT in this case, design principles stated from the very beginning are effectively sacred cows, AND THEY SHOULD BE! These are the things that drew most of the backers to this game in the first place. These are the things most of the backers actually fear that the developers will cave to and compromise their vision on.

I'm all for improving this game, I love the whole idea behind it, but I want the end result to still be the game I wanted to back in the first place. Its great that you have ideas that are different than others, but realize where there is room for compromise, and where your changing the game intrinsicly.

The developers have been clear from the very beginning about their design philosophies. Although they are calling for player feedback on ideas on how to improve the game, they have also said they will NOT BE compromising their design principals to do so. They want to make a game unlike other games, and one of the ways that they will do that, and one of the things they need to be sure of, given how they brought their backers into the fold, is by NEVER compromising their design principles.

Suggest new avenues of exploration, new ways to do things, new approaches to gameplay, BUT in this case, design principles stated from the very beginning are effectively sacred cows, AND THEY SHOULD BE! These are the things that drew most of the backers to this game in the first place. These are the things most of the backers actually fear that the developers will cave to and compromise their vision on.

I'm all for improving this game, I love the whole idea behind it, but I want the end result to still be the game I wanted to back in the first place. Its great that you have ideas that are different than others, but realize where there is room for compromise, and where your changing the game intrinsicly.

Design principles are different than the implementation of those principles.

For example, maybe I've misread the mechanic, but the idea of unchangeable starting attributes appears to be an attempt to keep new players from being impossibly far behind old players.

I agree with that design principle, but not the implementation. It will result in alt spam.

The same is true of decaying gear: I understand the desire to have an economy with fountains and sinks, but I don't believe the current implementation will have the effect the developers want.

• Content Creator

1. From a developer's standpoint, Alt spam is a good thing. Especially if they charge for alternate character slots or charge for each account, especially as there's not monthly fee except as VIPs.
    2. The above considerations will cut down on alt-spamming. If it costs real world money to alt spam, and there is no other real pay-to-win advantages they can get out of doing so, than the only ones doing it are going to be those who really really want to play with all the various craft variations on dedicated accounts.
    3. As I said previously, if you make all crafts available to all characters, but include a few limiters, like time constraints, than alt-spamming won't really be as much of an option to progress towards their goals, will it? time sinks will exist whether you are on your main or your alt accounts, same is true for material needs, city based finishing proceedures, etc... The only real difference will be talents you might spend on and recipes. There looks to however, be plenty knowledge points available mid-game, so recipes should be fine on just one account, depending on how many crafts your splitting them up between, and how much time you have to practice said crafts, as to talents, you get 5 different talent presets, AND at any time, you can delete and respec a Talent preset, so really, you have an infinite possibility to use that to make multi-craft characters. Especially since much of crafting should be done near a fire where it's easy to activate different pre-sets between crafting attempts.

All in all, their implementation of their design principles seems to be spot on, and I'm totally behind how they are going about things. Sure, a small tweak here and there might improve things from a few individuals' points of view, but then again, those some tweaks could ruin it from another segment of the player base, who's to say. I thus think, the least we end up trying to change or influence the implementation of their basic design principles, and the more we rely on the Dev's particular interpretation of how those principles need to be enacted, UNLESS they call for general comments specific to them, the better we will ultimately be as a community. I joined this game back in 2017 as a Kickstarter, mainly because I fully wanted to embrace their design principles, and as such, I trust in these developers, who would set such design principles, to have a fairly good idea of how they intend to implement them, and further, I see their current implementation doing EXACTLY what they intend. You however, see it going the other way... time will tell which of us is right, and how the developers go on feedback in this regard.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I don't see it this way... first, how are you dying so much? I got knocked out a few times, but I NEVER group and have never died.

If you do, grab some more gear that you made (you make and enchant 4-5 sets at a time and put it in your house/bank) and run back... forget your body unless there's some uber rare on it. Why bother, no gear is that good.

FInally... I picked exactly the enchants I wanted, there was nothing random.

Am I wrong??

Z

@Znick said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I don't see it this way... first, how are you dying so much? I got knocked out a few times, but I NEVER group and have never died.

If you do, grab some more gear that you made (you make and enchant 4-5 sets at a time and put it in your house/bank) and run back... forget your body unless there's some uber rare on it. Why bother, no gear is that good.

FInally... I picked exactly the enchants I wanted, there was nothing random.

Am I wrong??

Z

Or, @Hathos could simply learn how to make a campfire.... and prepare for trips being made. Like the devs intend people to do.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Xzait I think you tagged the wrong person xD Hathos was saying that it's pretty much impossible to die in PVE at this point.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I think it simply takes 20 stones whenever you go to farm and die it will be really difficult, and if you also continue to collect stones along the way, you will become immortal.

I think drop everything, or anything, on death is a stupid idea.... please do not have it in game on release.

I love that we lose everything on death. In this game death actually means something. Please never take that away! Any game that makes death easy isn’t worth playing.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

You don't lose all your gear. You lose all your carried gear and items. The same penalty happens in EVE online.

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured