Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!

You are brave.

I turn tail at 60%.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Losing all gear for a PvE death is harsh, and will discourage many players. I'd remove the possibility of dying in PvE altogether, and make dying only possible in PvP. (I note that's essentially how Albion works.)

@killergoldfish

talk to me again once you've actually played the game and know what im talking about.

Seriously, with the way they have death structured, to actually die you either have to be watching TV or be really dumb. Well, I suppose that there are a few truly unlucky folks out there, but damn that is really stretching it.

You get knocked out, you get back up and are immune for a few seconds. Now you have a choice. Are you weak? Then run dumb a$$! Are you sure you can win? Then keep fighting. If at any time you end up actually dead though it is most likely your fault for fatally miscalculating your own abilities. Don’t blame the developers; they have created an awesome system.

As for getting rid of the death penalty, I have said it before and I will say it again, boring, tiresome, dreary, mind-numbing, and tedious. If you want a game like that go play EverQuest II. They will coddle you and hold your hand so you don’t actually experience any sort of real lose upon death. Seriously, they used to have a reasonable death penalty where you had to retrieve your corpse but now you just get experience debt. There is no incentive to stay alive. It is pathetic!

Fractured makes you want to put in the effort to stay alive. You think about what you are carrying before you leave town. You remember to sleep in an inn or tavern right before you begin an assault. You plan escape routes. You store spare amour. You play the game!

Stop trying to remove a crucial part of what makes this game awesome. The death penalty is a major motivating force in this game. Don’t Mess With It!

• Content Creator

So many non-pvpers in this community. Really blows my mind.

Its why only the smallest planet has true pvp and the largest planet has pve. mind blowing indeed.

I actually am on the other side that is blown away this surprises y'all. This isn't the "good ol days" anymore with a majority wanting FFA pvp at every turn. We have to face it that the group which predominantly wants PvP is by and large an ever shrinking niche. We can kick and scream our way all the way down the slide, but for better or worse, a rising majority of the MMO players are more geared towards PvE, even if they enjoy the occasional structured PvP.

I can already see folks cracking their knuckles wanting to type and argue this point, but all you have to do is look at the MMOs that make the most money and have the biggest player bases to see this. Still, I'm really excited to see if fractured actually finds a way to do the impossible and cater to both groups, as well as the exponentially growing group of predominantly solo MMO-ers.

• Content Creator

@Esoba Good thing you can't avoid it in Fractured.

@Nekrage
    That would be purely an argument on semantics because you can "avoid" it as much as you want to. Heck, perfect quote:

"If you play as a Beastman on Arboreus, you’ll often wander zones completely devoid of hostile PvP – particularly as a new player, and you’re unlikely to be the victim of an aggression from other races in the rest of the world as well" .

Does that mean it is absolutely 100% eliminated. No. But a player can sure as heck find ways to minimize it to a point that it is effectively zero. I mean I can avoid ever getting bit by a shark by never going into the ocean, but I'm sure there's a miniscule chance a sharknado event could drop one in my lap next summer.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

This game is not for you mate.

• Content Creator

@Esoba said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@Nekrage
    That would be purely an argument on semantics because you can "avoid" it as much as you want to. Heck, perfect quote:

"If you play as a Beastman on Arboreus, you’ll often wander zones completely devoid of hostile PvP – particularly as a new player, and you’re unlikely to be the victim of an aggression from other races in the rest of the world as well" .

Does that mean it is absolutely 100% eliminated. No. But a player can sure as heck find ways to minimize it to a point that it is effectively zero. I mean I can avoid ever getting bit by a shark by never going into the ocean, but I'm sure there's a miniscule chance a sharknado event could drop one in my lap next summer.

I disagree with the "effectively zero".

Additionally if you plan to actually make progress in this game and push yourself to be the strongest you can be...you HAVE to venture into PvP territory.

• There are other games out there were you loose everything when you die.
    In this games you tell newbies something like "Only take the stuff you can loose without crying outside.".

Like this it can be annoying if you loose the stuff, but you are only loosing stuff that won't miss (much) when its gone.

• Wiki Editor

This fight between losing gear in PvP or PvE astounds me.

You are given many chances to not lose gear in PvE. Most people turn tail at the 2ed death to heal, and thats normally in a group of people.

if your solo, then you should know your limits and go back to the pub.

For PvP, you have a choose to what world you live on. Pick and be wise.

As for end game content of asroids. There is risk vs reward. if you wish to wonder into risky areas, forsee you might die and bring trash tier items you're willing to lose.

Planning is part of the game.

@maze

Losing gear in PvE will drive many potential players away. That's not a good thing.

• Content Creator

@Roccandil said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@maze

Losing gear in PvE will drive many potential players away. That's not a good thing.

Extremely casual gamers will maybe be driven away, but anyone who plays MMOs with some level of consistency will look at item loss on death as an expectation, not a discouragement. As my sister said (Stormbug) lack of loss on death=boring, monotonous, tedious, and something you quickly lose interest in as a long-term gamer.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Roccandil This will maybe turn only you away, there is nothing bad about it.

I agree with everything @GamerSeuss says.

@munch said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

I agree with everything @GamerSeuss says.

I don't see them changing the whole "you have to loot your corpse before it degrades in order to retain your items" methodology. The only thing they may have different is a full loot vs partial loot vs no loot depending on what plant you are on. Its pretty easy to see where their main game mechanics are already implement and I seriously doubt they will change any of it. So people who complain about "losing loot", isometric only view, click movement, three different play styles and NOT being only PvP or only PvE, and city centric and not pure solo friendly are only complaining against a hard steel wall annoying the rest of us.

@GamerSeuss said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@Roccandil said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@maze

Extremely casual gamers will maybe be driven away, but anyone who plays MMOs with some level of consistency will look at item loss on death as an expectation, not a discouragement. As my sister said (Stormbug) lack of loss on death=boring, monotonous, tedious, and something you quickly lose interest in as a long-term gamer.

Wurm Online has PvE death with item loss. ESO or Albion, on the other hand, do not have item loss with PvE death, just durability loss.

Which games have the lion's share of customers? 🙂 Is there any open world MMO with full item loss on PvE death that has more than a niche following?

To me, the point of MMO PvE is tackling a challenge with some friends. Spending most of my game time traveling to PvE content where I can easily be reset back to traveling again is not acceptable.

I have better things to do with my time.

• Content Creator

@GamerSeuss said in Death Penalty of losing all gear and inventory: WORST IDEA EVER!!!:

@maze

Wurm Online has PvE death with item loss. ESO or Albion, on the other hand, do not have item loss with PvE death, just durability loss.

Which games have the lion's share of customers? 🙂 Is there any open world MMO with full item loss on PvE death that has more than a niche following?

To me, the point of MMO PvE is tackling a challenge with some friends. Spending most of my game time traveling to PvE content where I can easily be reset back to traveling again is not acceptable.

Comparing to other games is great, here's a note to consider:

UO (Ultima Online) was the first real MMO, and when people think of the 3 greatest MMOs to ever come out on the market, generally speaking, you hear EverQuest, World of WarCraft, and RuneScape (versions vary) and for the most part, each of these games involve loss of gear when you die, sometimes in addition to XP penalties as well once your above like 10th level. Sure, EverQuest is long nerfed and out of fashion, but as much as I dislike it, World of Warcraft is still huge, and RuneScape has 3 games still fairly active, RuneScape Classic (based on RS1), Old School RuneScape (based on RS2), and now RS3, and the most popular of the 3 is OSRS. In Old School RuneScape, you lose everything in death except your 3 most valuable items (keeping a 4th if you have the right prayer active on death), it is a PvE / PvP combined MMO, with distinct PvP areas, and even flagging to mark those into PvP as the aggressors (for non PvPers in PvP areas). The main exception that RuneScape (all versions) has is that depending on where you die, you can go to Death's Domain and pay a portion of the price of what you lost on your corpse to pick it up there and not have to go back for your corpse.

Sure, you'll find some games that try to coddle players to the point there is no feeling of risk, but without risk, rewards don't mean anything. There needs to be something to discourage death, other than merely failing a task and having to start over...after awhile, that is no longer a deterrent at all. People will Juggernaut a task by throwing their characters after the goal 30, 50, 100x until they defeat the task, and nothing deters them from doing this, EXCEPT the fact that serious gamers quickly get bored at this kind of no-risk play.

I'm a PvE player, I only ever PvP'd in any game in defense of Newbs, or Myself when entering those zones. I have never actively participated in PvP really, so I'm saying this from the PoV of someone who recognizes that PvE is a very viable playstyle for serious gamers...and even we PvE serious gamers still want an element of risk, we just generally want the risk part to be the Game/Environment, not the other PCs.

... Spending most of my game time traveling to PvE content where I can easily be reset back to traveling again is not acceptable.

If this is an issue you are having then you are doing it wrong. I have been killing Mountain Trolls solo and have even managed to kill Sea trolls 2 at a time solo and have not died once! It is not "easy" to get reset back to traveling again.

I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game but I will quite playing it if they nerf it because folks can't pay attention to their health and do a simple little thing like go to the nearest inn or house to recoup. I quit EverQuest II because they nerfed it; death meant nothing. ZZZzzzzz......

It is hard to die in this game! Good grief....

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured