Spoilers: Gameplay narrative is working for me!

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

The first housing plot I found was south-southeast of the starter area. I went mage. The area has a lot of wisps, and I just couldn't kill them.

So I did a bit of looking around, and wound up in the goblin hills. When I stumbled on the fire shaman? Very happy, I really wanted the fireball and the totem spells.

So I hung out in the area for a while. Unlocked the shaman and the normal goblin types, filled up my inventory with crafting reagents, then teleported home when I got cocky in a fight with a war chief and forgot to heal.

Came back, and with fire totem, fireball, and some enchanted gear, I now had the missing burst dps I needed to take down a wisp solo - and the fire damage is making sprouts and treants a cakewalk where they used to be something I had to think about a bit to not get overwhelmed, so that was a nice bonus.

Now I've got the wisp's arcane shield thingy to use against the wisps themselves. Suddenly, so long as I take care to only go in 1v1, they fall over like it's nothing.

It wasn't that long ago that the wisps were kicking my ass 1v1 and felt broken unfair and unbeatable. I set myself the goal of getting strong enough to take them down, and it feels really satisfying to have achieved it!

Great emergent little character arc. The system is really working for me so far. Feels good. 😊

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

It's really fun finding the right abilities that work against the other mobs. As the warrior role, I did the same thing you did after the wisps were wrecking me. I found a mage with fireball and arcane missile to kill them for me 🙂

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

It bothers me a bit that we're forced to stack so much investment into magic for a very common overworld enemy, but at least it's possible for a character to take them on. Any other game, you would have to completely restart the character.

My meathead was definitely not able to handle them with her puny magic missiles. I don't know if she would have been able to handle them if I put Fire Totem et al. on her, I didn't know there were goblin shamans until near the end of the alpha. -v-

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@FibS said in Spoilers: Gameplay narrative is working for me!:

...a very common overworld enemy...

The wisps aren't a common overworld enemy; they're common in the Heartwood but not the entirely of the overworld.
    Wolves. Wolves are common, get hit with a bad pack of them as a mage and you're in for some pain. Get hit by them with a fighter type and you'll cleave/pierce them with your attacks to kill them quicker.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Manaia They took up a third of the alpha continent. At least one spawned with every pack of Sproutlings. They were a common enemy.

The Heartlands, by the by, were largely devoid of wolves, with the exception of occasional lone dire wolves. So were the Whispering Woods (which more than make up for this with spooders.) Are wolves "not a common enemy" because they only spawned in particular biomes?

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@FibS I literally said in my previous post that wolves are a common enemy, they spawn nearly everywhere. Some places more frequent or fewer. The wisps though are common in their sub-zone, but that doesn't make them a common overworld enemy. I also doubt Heartwood is 1/3 the entire continent; though I haven't measured.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I have to admit, I was planning to try a warrior alt before this, but having set up my house on the edges of Heartwood I've been putting it off a bit.

After the inevitable wipe I reckon I'll be a tad more selective on the next version of the world. 😝

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Manaia Why yes you did! And I'm pointing out that it's a hypocritical argument!

Wisps are every bit as common in the center as wolves are in the west and spiders are in the east. All of these biomes take up about the same amount of space on the continent.

I'm not interested in extending this segue with pedantry and excuses. Wisps were a common enemy and far more powerful than they should have been.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@FibS Wolves can be found pretty much anywhere on the map, wisps can ONLY be found in Heartland. They're significantly different. That's like saying Goblin Enforcers are a common mob because they're in abundance in both the Goblin areas. You don't have to be interested in continuing, but please don't spread misinformation saying that wisps are a common enemy all over the map and saying wolves spawn locations are just like them.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Manaia You are one bold little troll, kid.

Wolves can be found pretty much anywhere on the map

False.

[...] don't spread misinformation saying that wisps are a common enemy all over the map

I never said this. Ever.

Thanks for once again being a hypocrite. If you're going to wildly accuse me of "spreading misinformation", don't lie while you're doing it.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@FibS said in Spoilers: Gameplay narrative is working for me!:
    I'm not trolling you, it's called having a conversation. I'll break reply to your points though.

@Manaia You are one bold little troll, kid.

Wolves can be found pretty much anywhere on the map

False.

In my experience, on ALL the alpha test phases, wolves are the most common enemy and are found in most places on the map. There are few places that wolves do not spawn. I'm not saying they have a dense spawn rate, I'm saying that they are a common appearance in most places.

[...] don't spread misinformation saying that wisps are a common enemy all over the map

I never said this. Ever.

21 hours ago in this thread you said: "It bothers me a bit that we're forced to stack so much investment into magic for a very common overworld enemy"

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "common overworld enemy" - I took this as they are common everywhere in the overworld, not just the Heartwood.

Thanks for once again being a hypocrite. If you're going to wildly accuse me of "spreading misinformation", don't lie while you're doing it.

I'm not spreading misinformation. It appears that there is a misunderstanding of what we're both talking about though. Hopefully I was more specific in this post of what I meant while talking about wolves being a common enemy. We can agree to disagree that our personal anecdotal experiences differ though about the commonality of wolves on the map.

I'd also recommend using etiquette while addressing people on forums and in all methods of communication (text, email, talking, etc.) - stick to the topic on hand and don't lash out in personal attacks (i.e. hypocrite, troll, kid.) You'll just come off as an emotionally triggered person and people will view what you say with less credibility.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@KairosVal really enjoyed this post!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured