What unusual weapon types would you like to see?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@benseine agreeeee!

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Could be nice some weapons like;

• Whip or flexible swords.
    • Cho Ku Nu
    • Katar
    • Chakram
    • Chain hammer
    • Gauntlet
    • Spiked chain

My aportation 😄

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Honestly I just love all kinds of polearms, be it spears, halberds, battle scythe.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@darian said in What unusual weapon types would you like to see?:

@xanowrath said in What unusual weapon types would you like to see?:

+1 for polearms! So underrepresented in games these days.

Most likely, because they are so OP they have been used in real wars for over 3000 years. (Last known successful bayonet charge was done in Irak, 2004 by a British squad that got ambushed by AKs and grenade launchers and shit) Balance that without making it feel dull!

Polearms aren't "OP" - they're useless at any distance closer than their maximum range which can be 10+ feet, or within confined spaces that don't have room for them to begin with. This is especially true for slashies as opposed to stabbos.

As a reference, Dark Souls not only incorporates both concepts, but further makes polearms especially easy to block and prone to staggering the user when doing so. It more questionably makes all Thrusting attacks deal low damage in general unless they land counters, i.e. hitting during an enemy's attack animation. As a compromise, spears and thrusting swords can be used while still holding one's own shield up (no other weapon can).

While we're on the subject of Dark Souls:

@Maethor

I would also like to see shield and bucklers better differentiated, shields should have a substantial stamina and speed drain.

Dark Souls has three shield classes. From small to large they are Buckler, Shield, Greatshield.

The larger the shield, the worse it is at parrying (most Greatshields cannot parry at all) and the better it is at holding up and letting things bounce off. As long as you meet their stat requirements (like STR), however, heavier shields have less stamina drain - you lose stamina for each hit blocked, and the same hit is less of a whomp against a bigger shield.

All shields of any kind in Dark Souls completely block any arrows that hit, except for the gigantic spears fired by greatbows which are used to slay dragons. Blocking one of those sends you flying off like a pinball.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Mandobles!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Crude gunblades

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Smoke bombs.

Magical potions (crafted) in a little bottles which you can throw and create smoke screen to obscure vision of some area, so enemy can't track you down temporarily.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@wolfox said in What unusual weapon types would you like to see?:

Crude gunblades

In medieval or fantasy settings I tend to prefer that "guns" be interpreted as "not-altogether-realistic crossbows".

Crossbows are forefathers to guns in many ways, and their association with fighting vampires / the undead / etc. fits right in!

• TF#3 - ENVOY

i prefer dual wield,guns,long ranged,magic weapons or armaments and the option to switch between multiple weapons during battle

@finland Just really funky looking weapons. Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mambele_(knives)

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@fibs If you where paying attention to my argument, i was referring to the fact that spears are OP in REAL LIFE. The only weapon that was consistently used for WAR (totally different from duels or other civilian encounters), by literally every culture, in every time period, throughout human history. The mounted bayonet, which is a variation of the pole arm and pretty much retains all of the viable techniques, is still being used in modern warfare.
    Here's an account for reference: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=905475926435
    If you think a polearm is useless in mid to close range, this is obviously due to Hollywood/gaming industry myths. Grab one and play around with it. You'll find out they are incredibly versatile. True, indoors, not so much, but for war purposes, it's pretty much the best tool for the job. You should also consider the fact that they where generally used in formation. Closing the distance against a line of trained spearmen wasn't really an option unless you where suicidal, or decked in the best full plate armor from head to toe (only available from late XV-th century onwards)!

As i mentioned before, it's not impossible to implement and balance polearms, but they will not really feel like polearms. Oh, and I'm the sword type, so i'm not subjective here. I just recognize facts.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Yeah, I never understood why people think pole weapons are not dangerous once you get inside. There are numerous tactics they can use if someone tries to get inside, the main downside to pole weapons are the same as any of the large weapons like a long or greatsword or a shield is they are cumbersome. It would not be something you want to carry around in town for example. They are not like a buckler or shortsword/dueling sword or other sidearms where you can easily strap them to your body.

It would actually be interesting to see them have a sidearm and main arm style of weapon system. So you could be an archer but also carry a rapier and buckler as needed. It would be like a classic weapon swap system but the swap weapons are limited to things that can be worn on the body easily. It would be interesting to see certain areas that restricted the use of heavy weapons such water areas or dungeons.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@darian said in What unusual weapon types would you like to see?:

@fibs If you where paying attention to my argument, i was referring to the fact that spears are OP in REAL LIFE.

... which is not a fact because they aren't, which "if you [were] paying attention" you would have noticed was my first sentence, but I'll go into further detail.

Polearms are next to useless in any form of close quarters. These wars you like to talk about see them used in very open fields in large-scale battles where armies not only have time to prepare formations beneficial to whatever weapons they're using, but basically slam mindlessly into each other swinging wildly and see who survives, which appeals to the advantages of large shields, polearms, firearms, siege weapons, and other "large" armament. Big wars see big weapons.

But in skirmishes or duels at a closer distance (which is what MMOs are like i.e. actually relevant) these glass cannons are not even remotely overpowered, because they are rendered impotent by anything that stops them from hitting at full reach. This is the same flaw found in any fighter with a longer reach than his opponent - even a longsword vs. a dirk or a tall boxer vs. a short one features the recurring phenomenon that they cannot hit (with force) an opponent who's standing too close to them courtesy of leverage. To say otherwise is simply a naive power fantasy akin to the super katana myth and, ironically but not unexpectedly, entirely hypocritical relevant to your accusations of Hollywood spoiling.

In addition to the constant vulnerability of close range, large weapons literally cannot be swung in a narrow corridor or when there's a whole bunch of crap in the way for their opponent to hide around or stand next to. Outside of war where you will be avoiding setting these stages for conflict, you do not have the luxury of consistently choosing advantageous places for your weapon and will be subjected to this inconvenience regularly.

Specifically to address this flaw, all bearers of any mid-to-large weapons "in all cultures in all periods of history" have also carried a smaller sidearm, i.e. a shortsword or dagger. This is why samurai carried two swords of different lengths, why riflemen carried sabers, and one reason why modern infantry carry knives, despite the latter two having guns - because guns are not invincible or "OP", and neither are polearms. They are explicitly designed for mid-to-long range fighting, and inferior to smaller weapons at close quarters.

My subsequent "argument" was composed of suggestions and examples of how to balance their alleged (and fallacious) "OP-ness" and represent their actual properties in the context of a game. I chose Dark Souls because I have enough experience with it to explain how spears work in it, and because I find its implementation to be the most accurate to a polearm so far as silly video game physics go.

QED polearms are not magic god weapons either in reality or fiction and there will be no issue balancing them, as they are self-balanced by their ample flaws in any context other than the zerg rush nature of large-scale classical wars.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@dagimir
    I would like to see weapons two hands as axes giant, weapons for beginners as tree branch, would be fun as they begin virtually from zero

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@fibs Drawing your sword in the middle of a fight in a timely manner, is a skill most medieval soldiers would have envied. Warriors carried sidearms because it's really easy to loose your main weapon in the middle of the fight.(Disarms, getting stuck in an opponent body or shield, getting tangled in opponents armor and so forth) at which point you break distance, pull your sidearm and hope for the best. As for your other arguments, historically, bodyguards mostly relied on halberds, Dane axes (also considered a pole arm) and zweihanders (in a very particular way meant mostly to create a wide danger zone and prevent assailants from closing while the noble was hiding behind the bodyguard) Guess what... that's what they used indoors as well. Perhaps you think they where stupid, or perhaps you think their assailants where dumb. I personally don't really think so. But to support my argument, i urge you to grab a pole and play around with it for a couple of weeks. You don't even need to study treatises with techniques. Just play around with it... you'll see just how useful it is even in close quarters. A single tip if I may... a spear thrusts faster (up to 3 to 1 for an untrained spearman) then the rapier, and you can grab it as close to the tip as you need to. It's also a lot less tiresome since you're handling similar weights, 1.4-2 kg, with both hands, instead of just one.
    Oh, and here's a little preview of how a sword&buckler vs spear really looks like:

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I've played so many MMO's and the one weapon I've wanted to always be good and not just for aesthetics is a scythe! I've always had an obsession with them and it would be sweet to see them in game.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Chainblades would be cool to see,althought they're seemingly a bit hard to imagine from an isometric perspective with all the physics that goes into them, but they're the perfect excuse weapon for those of us who want to fight at range while still maintaining our melee traits and bonuses.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Fishing rods, Katanas, hammers, probably fishing rods with combined with katanas...

As I read the comments I just wondered "why can't we use anything as a weapon?" if you're out hunting and your weapon breaks, grab a branch. a group wants to raid your villa, grab a cattle prod. you're in the field planting potatoes an someone wants to sneak you, use the Sai as a weapon or the hoe if you were tilling the soil.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

i like fist weapon, claws etc.. monk arts...

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured